Labour have now painted themselves into a Tunnel or nothing position. However the question still remains, Why a tunnel in Mt Albert?
Liberty Scott investigates and finds that Labour has tunnel vision only for Mt Albert;
Since 1999, the following major urban motorway/highway projects have been started while Labour was in power. None were tunnelled.
– Grafton Gully upgrade – at surface option selected over tunnelled and viaduct options.
– Central Motorway Junction upgrade Stages 1 and 2 (no tunnel option.
– Greenhithe Deviation (Upper Harbour Motorway) – at surface.
– Mt Roskill extension of SH20, at surface.
– Manukau extension of SH20, at surface.
– Waiouru Peninsula highway and interchange (Otahuhu) at surface.
– Hamilton Avalon Drive bypass, at surface.
– Tauranga Harbourlink (second Tauranga Harbour Bridge with highway connection to Waikareao Expressway), elevated.
– Hawke’s Bay Expressway northern extension, at surface.
– Wellington Dowse Drive upgrade on SH2, elevated.
– Wellington Inner City Bypass stage 2, at surface.
– Mana-Plimmerton upgrade SH1, at surface.
So you see, a tunnel isn’t good enough for Greenhithe, Mt Roskill, Manukau, west Hamilton, Tauranga or downtown Wellington, but it is for Mt. Albert.
I wonder if the tunnel idea was because Mt Albert was the electorate of the former Prime Minister who once stated that a motorway would go through her electorate “over her dead body”. I hope the UNDP has placed her on suicde watch.