Whaleoil’s Guide to Selection FAQ, Ctd
Published on June 13th, 2012
Written by: Cameron Slater
Thanks to those who have emailed me with questions for the new web site. Here is a sample. Please email more through. I’ll be answering one a day and they will all appear on the web site.
- Big question – how do you overcome the blue rinse bias towards middle aged married male with two kids and professional occupation?
- How long will it take me to get into Parliament? How many years of trying will it take? What should you do to prepare.
- How do you get yourself a good list position?
- What if the candidate has a criminal record?
- And how do you get rid of someone who you think will be bad for the party before they get selected as a candidate or on the list?
- What are the do’s and dont’s with social media during a selection process? (outside of National Party constitution)
- What initiatives does National Party have in place to mentor/support women looking to stand for selection?
- Who’s advice do you really listen too ? (Board members, advisers, party hacks, electorate chair?!)
- Does running in a red seat really help you ‘cut your teeth’ or is it simply a poisoned chalice?
- What is the maximum age you need to stand if you want to become a Cabinet Minister ?
- Better chance of being selected as a woman before or after you have kids in the National Party?
- What are your chances of selection in a seat where you challenge a sitting MP?