Man killed lighting cigarette. Darwin’s theory is still valid

Darwin came calling with the Grim Reaper and won this time:

An invalid beneficiary died from burns after he tried to light a cigarette while connected to an oxygen supply, Otago-Southland coroner David Crerar has found.

Patrick John Ferris, 53, of Gore, died on August 14 in Southland Hospital from burns and inhalation injuries to his throat and lungs. 

At home the previous day, connected to the oxygen supply which assisted his breathing, Mr Ferris used a cigarette lighter to try to light a cigarette.

“This created an immediate fire which caused the injuries which proved fatal,” Mr Crerar said in his written finding.

Mr Ferris, who was terminally ill, had been advised of the risks of smoking while connected to oxygen.

Oh well he was a dead’un anyway. This is more common than you would think. Youtube has hundreds of videos of these fools.

  • Pissedoffyouth

    Isn’t cigarettes the reason he needed oxygen?

  • williamabong

    Dopey bastard, why didn’t he ask a nurse to light it for him.

  • cows4me

    He needs a medal, probably saved the taxpayer thousands in continuing health costs/benefits.

    • Gazzaw

      ……and freed up a much needed hospital bed for a deserving case.

  • Mediaan

    When beneficiaries are killed while driving around irresponsibly in a car, largely no doubt because they are bored and haven’t thought of volunteering somewhere, I do occasionally reflect, oh well, that’s one less we have to support.

  • Pingback: We shouldn’t need telling, but clearly we do: cigarettes can be bad for our health and well-being | Alf Grumble

76%