Stuff are running a series on teachers where teachers give their opinions.
This bit of gold turned up this morning.
5 steps to a good school. As is typical the cowardly teacher that wrote it withheld their name.
Strangely children are not mentioned at all. Pretty telling really.
Much is said and spent trying to raise, for example, Maori achievement, but I believe huge gains could be made if all schools did the following. (I speak for secondary schools as the environment is very different to primary schools in general).
1. A sensible timetable and arrangement of the day which is straightforward for teachers and students that does not wear us out. It must allow for breaks such as a decent length of time at lunchtime.
2. A wise principal and deputies who are able to speak well to the school at assembly, inspiring students to achieve with specific advice, and giving clear guidelines for behaviour, with personal attention to students who do not comply. If students don’t respect the school’s leaders it is very hard work for teachers trying to maintain standards unassisted.
3. A light meeting schedule that gives teachers maximum free time before and after school to do their unit planning, lesson preparation and marking.
4. Good relationships between all teachers on the staff, with senior leaders who respect the collective contract and abide by it.
5. Attention to the physical environment for teachers, such as decent toilets and a central staffroom with well-equipped kitchen.
Then you can address the other things like curriculum policy.
The poor over worked petals…getting worn out by finishing work at 3pm. It will be a real struggle finding a wise principal, they are all teachers, trained and skilled in the arts of socialism.
This fool teacher fails to understand respect. Respect is earned not demanded.
Oh, “maximum free time” before and after school…drive past a school at 4pm and see how many cars are int h staff carpark.
Senior leaders? Respect collective contracts? Oh you mean toe the union line…do kids fit anywhere in your plan?
Flash staffroom, decent dunnies and that is a critical component of this fools five step plan?
Who is this moron, he needs to be sacked forthwith.