Some in Young Labour will be on Q+A this morning making the case for Labour to move to the left. The reality is theyâre deeply divided.
Given the Young Labour National Executive is firmly in the clutches of Grant Robertsonâs Wellingtonâs Mafia, itâs likely theyâll get in behind but not without backbiting from the Cunliffe-controlled Princes St Labour (PSL) branch in Auckland.
The factions in Young Labour are quite simple â Auckland (which backs Cunliffe) and Wellington (which backs Robertson). Itâs Wellington that currently dominates the Young Labour Executive but the youth wing is far from united.
- Reed FlemingÂ â staffer in Grantâs office so is fighting for his job, especially after he we was eased out of the Labour leaderâs office under Shearer.
- Rory McCourtÂ â VUWSA president and union-trougher. Elected via a nasty campaign helped by his mate Reed.
- Arena WilliamsÂ â Popular AUSA president. A Shane Jones fangirl whoâs seen Robbo as a better bet. Has parliamentary aspirations sooner rather than later.
- Levi Joule âÂ regarded as principled third wayer. Failed AUSA politician. Tried to smear John Banks in 2011 and got exposed by this blog. Joule is on the outer in Princes St Labour because he doesnât fit the Cunliffe mould of extremist leftism that he inspires in his supporters.Â
- Shayne MisselbrookeÂ â former Young Labour President. Worked on Phil Twyfordâs campaign. Part of the West Auckland mob that backs Cunliffe.
- Bronwyn PreslandÂ â freshly minted Executive Assistant of David Cunliffe. She is the daughter of Greg Presland (aka âMickey Savageâ on the Standard blog). Sheâs been deployed to Wellington to do daddyâs bidding and will likely have a key role on Cunliffeâs office when ascendsÂ on Sunday. Footage of the disastrous Labour conference in 2012 shows her swanning around Cunliffe every time a camera was on him.
- Sam Durbin âÂ reputably one of the more septic and narcissistic Young Labourites and a failed student politician who helped root the books on AUSA. Ashamed of his St Kentâs education much like the former Young Nat, King’s educated, Cunliffe backer, Iain âstenography is a favourite hobby of mineâ Lees-Galloway. Likes to write diatribe for Recess Monkey.
- Antonia Verstappen âÂ Deeply unpopular and failed AUSA politician/PSL hack. Rose to fame for wanting to ban orange juice on campus. Relative of the Presland’s. Seems it runs in the family…
- Kieran Gainsford âÂ PSL hack, boyfriend of Verstappen. Loves Cunliffe.
- Soraiya Daud âÂ Issues assistant for Cunliffeâs union queen, Carol Beaumont. Broke down in tears on a TV3 show when Levi Joule was deployed by Young Labourâs right faction to say Wellington had done their numbers on herâŠon television!Â Wants Labour to have more token ethnic MPs
Interestingly, Young Labour PresidentÂ Jessie LipscombeÂ has saying different things to different people. A dangerous position to be in when your job is said to be under threat – purportedly from Arena Williams, who it is said may challenge either Lipscombe for the Presidency or more likely Soraiya Daud for the Youth Vice Presidency of the party.
There are numerous others. And the divisions that emerge will be a product of the leadership circus weâve seen this month. When you see the leadership race in the media, take a closer look at who the kids are in the background – it’s immensely interesting.
Should Cunliffe win – he most likely will – the war will only become more endemic as the kiddies maul each otherâŠ