At the next mayoral forum in Taupo someone should start asking questions about the uncontested contract offered to an airline to replace Air NZ. The specific questions are:
– Why was an airline offered a $1m underwrite to provide air services to Taupo?
– Why was this not tendered out?
– Did the council vote on this deal and if so what was the result of the vote?
– Did the council staff then point out that what the Mayor had the council vote on was unlawful?
– What happened when the tender was awarded to another airline? Did the original Airline threaten to sue?
And why hasn’t the Taupo Times asked these questions?