Ding Dong, El Presidente’s gone

BREAKING

This morning the Building Services Contractors New Zealand (BSC for short) sent out an email to members announcing that El Presidente Patrick Lee-Lo has stepped down as National President.

You may recall that for some time WOBH has poured sunlight into the BSC. Many, including Rodney Hide, called it a cartel-like organisation for being party to an Principles Agreement that excluded businesses from government contracts.

National’s former Minister of Labour Simon Bridges did the right thing and axed this agreement, much to the horror of El Presidente who claimed it was part of some conspiracy to undermine workers’ rights.

According to the announcement sent to members (and forwarded to WOBH by a member of the fish-gang), CEO Lillian Small says Patrick Lee-Lo was a ‚Äėvibrant President‚Äô. I’d¬†agree with that.

Here‚Äôs the email. ¬† Read more »

Another registered teacher in trouble

Labour and the teacher unions oppose charter schools because they say the lack of a requirement for teachers to be registered puts kids at risk.

Today yet another teacher is under investigation for untoward behaviour with students.

A female physical education teacher at an Auckland high school is on sick leave after she was accused of favouritism towards at least one teenage boy.

As a result of the allegations, the high school is remarking a year of internal NCEA grades for the teacher’s Year 13 class, prompting concern among parents and students some grades will go down.

The teacher, who the Herald has chosen not to name, has been on extended sick leave since the allegations surfaced last month. ¬† ¬† Read more »

Tagged:

Key finally takes a position on the Sutton debacle

121218IainRennie_7039848

Iain Rennie – is he past his use-by date?

As I predicted on Friday, after a whole week of relative silence, John Key finally has an opinion after Curia’s been scouring the population to tell him what to think.

Mr Key told Radio New Zealand today the press conference was a “miscalculation”.

“There’s no way that he should have conducted a joint press conference with Mr Sutton.”

It give the impression that he was siding with Mr Sutton and it gave an unfair platform for Mr Sutton when the complainant was not given that same platform, Mr Key said. Read more »

Photo Of The Day

Photo: Wonderful Engineering

Photo: Wonderful Engineering

Machine Makes Brick Roads like Laying Carpet

Read more »

Whinging Poms seem to want to stop Israel defending itself

Me with the Iron Dome Photo/ Cam Slater, Whaleoil Media

Pommy whingers and haters of Israel seem to want to stop Israel from defending itself by opposing the shipping of vital components for their defence forces.

Britain approved the sale of arms to Israel worth £7m in the six months before its offensive on Gaza this summer, including components for drones, combat aircraft and helicopters along with spare parts for sniper rifles, according to figures seen byThe Independent.

The government data will raise fresh concerns that British-made equipment was used by the Israeli military during Operation Protective Edge in Gaza in July and August, which led to more than 2,000 Palestinian deaths and 73 Israeli fatalities, 66 of them soldiers.

The Independent can reveal that ministers in the Department for Business Innovation and Skills (BIS) have also ordered a fresh review of military export licences to Israel granted prior to the outbreak of the conflict after officials found 12 instances where arms containing British components may have been used in Gaza by the Israeli Defence Forces (IDF).

The refusal of the Government to suspend these licences caused a split in the Coalition and led to the resignation of Foreign Office minister Baroness Warsi, who described Britain‚Äôs stance during the Israeli land and air assault as ‚Äúmorally indefensible‚ÄĚ.

Official figures declared to the Campaign Against Arms Trade (CAAT) show that Britain granted 68 export licences for £6.96 of military-use items to be sent to Israel between January and the end of June this year.

The licences covered a broad range of weaponry, including parts for drones and combat jets as well as military radar components and ¬£600,000 of ‚Äúhigh-power RF weapon systems‚ÄĚ, in effect energy ray weapons which can be used for purposes from air defence to disabling cars.

The licences also included armour plating, anti-armour ammunition, electronic warfare components, sniper rifle parts and technology for weapons sights. One licence for an unspecified amount of small arms ammunition was refused on grounds of ‚Äúrisk of diversion or re-export to undesirable end-users‚ÄĚ.¬† Read more »

Cartoon of the Day

Credit:  SonovaMin

Credit: SonovaMin

ALSO BREAKING: Kim Dotcom’s bail hearing delayed [UPDATED]

The NBR reports that Barrister Ron Mansfield, assisted by Graeme Edgeler and acting for Kim Dotcom have successfully argued for more time to be able to argue the proposed removal of bail.

The lawyers claim they were only served with affidavits yesterday, and he needed a few more days to absorb them.

There was no opposition from the Crown represented by Christine Gordon QC, although she was granted that the stricter bail conditions that have been applied to Dotcom remain in place.

A fresh date for the bail hearing is still to be announced, but appears to be in terms of days or weeks, rather than months.

 

Tagged:

BREAKING: Little front bench announcement presser delayed by fire alarm [UPDATED]

All media were¬†told to leave. ¬†Lots of calls of Little being “jinxed” from media.

The presser is on now.

http://tvnz.co.nz/national-news/live-stream-labour-leader-andrew-little-reveals-front-bench-video-6160433

 

here’s a hint:

rwer

qwew

CONFIRMED:

  1. Andrew Little, Leader of the Labour Party, Security and Intelligence
  2. Annette King, Deputy Leader, Health
  3. Grant Robertson, Finance
  4. Nanaia Mahuta,¬†MńĀori Development
  5. Phil Twyford, Housing, Transport, Associate Auckland Issues
  6. Chris Hipkins, Senior Whip, Shadow Leader of the House, Education
  7. Carmel Sepuloni, Junior Whip, Social Development
  8. Kelvin Davis,¬†Police,¬†Corrections,¬†Domestic and Sexual Violence,¬†Associate Regional Development,¬†Associate Education (MńĀori)
  9. Jacinda Ardern, Justice, Children, Small Business, Arts & Culture
  10. David Clark, Economic Development, Associate Finance, Associate Health
  11. Su’a William Sio,¬†Pacific Island Affairs,¬†Local Government,¬†Associate Housing (South Auckland),¬†Interfaith Dialogue
  12. Iain Lees-Galloway, Labour
  13. Megan Woods, Environment, Climate Change
  14. David Cunliffe, Regional Development, Tertiary Education, Innovation, Research & Development, Science & Technology, Associate Economic Development
  15. David Parker, Shadow Attorney General, Treaty Negotiations, Trade & Export Growth
  16. David Shearer, Foreign Affairs, Consumer Affairs
  17. Phil Goff, Defence, Veterans’ Affairs, Disarmament, Auckland Issues, Ethnic Affairs

 

Andrew Little keeps repeating he won’t spend much time in Wellington for the next year and expect Annette to be the real Labour Party leader in his absence.

Former leaders: Cunliffe dropped to 14, Parker dropped to 15, Shearer dropped to 16, and Goff dropped to 17.

 



 

 

Word among the “Informed” media is that Annette King has been selected as Deputy Leader. ¬†–¬†UPDATE: ¬†It’s now formally out: ¬†she is.

Here are some interesting photos while they wait for the alarm to be cleared

B3KBxreCUAA9Mwz

Check Ardern’s body language there. ¬†Precious.

Inner circle: ¬†Little Andy, Swiss Ball King, Mr Whippy and The Septic Tank. ¬† Read more »

National pressured into early release of draft Terror Bill after leaks to media

National is entering a new phase with it no longer able to set the timetable when it comes to when information is released. ¬†Reacting to a second¬†leak in less than a week, National’s released its draft policy over the weekend. ¬† And none of the framing they would normally be able to do in the run-up of such a release has been able to be used, so everyone’s looking at it kinda raw

The changes were a response to the growing risk of radicalised fighters returning to New Zealand to carry out domestic attacks.

Mr Key said in a statement: “As I said earlier this month, New Zealand’s risk and threat profile is changing and the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) has been successful in recruiting New Zealanders to its cause.”

New Zealand’s domestic threat level was raised from very low to low last month, meaning a terrorist attack was possible but not likely.

Government has drawn up a watchlist of between 30 and 40 people “of concern in the foreign fighter context”.

The legislation’s key changes were:

‚ÄĘ Extending the period the Minister of Internal Affairs can cancel a passport to up to three years from the existing law’s 12 months.

‚ÄĘ Giving the Minister of Internal Affairs the power to temporarily suspend passports for up to 10 working days in urgent cases.

‚ÄĘ Allowing the NZ Security Intelligence Service (NZSIS) to carry out video surveillance on private properties for the purpose of observing activities of security concern, modelled on the Police’s powers in the Search and Surveillance Act

‚ÄĘ Allowing the NZSIS to conduct emergency surveillance for up to 48 hours prior to the issue of a warrant, with the approval of its Director and subject to the oversight of the Inspector General of Intelligence and Security. Read more »

Bet our SAS wish they were there

2369416C00000578-2845668-image-64_1416692542072

The Brits are among it – knocking off bad guys at a good clip.

SAS troops with sniper rifles and heavy machine guns have killed hundreds of Islamic State extremists in a series of deadly quad-bike ambushes inside Iraq, The Mail on Sunday can reveal.

Defence sources indicated last night that soldiers from the elite fighting unit have eliminated ‚Äėup to eight terrorists per day‚Äô in the daring raids, carried out during the past four weeks. Read more »

Tagged: