Abuse

Deja Vu…all over again

That tweet reminded me of this:

Read more »

More and more victims are seeking to overturn suppression

There is movement happening in society…victims are rebelling against a law designed to protect them. They are seeking to overturn name suppression in sex abuse cases.

They are doing this because there is likely to be other victims that secrecy prevents them from being uncovered.

This is why name suppression of offenders must end. By all means protect victim with name suppression, but we need to stop allowing criminals to hide behind their victims.

Victims of a serial paedophile fighting to keep his name secret will today ask a judge to lift suppression of their names.

The two women, who live in Christchurch, were in tears this week as they recounted details of the sex crimes the man committed against them four decades ago.

They believe he used the automatic name suppression granted to all victims of sexual abuse to hide his past. They want his name made public so parents can keep their children safe.

There could also be other victims who had not spoken to police, they said.

“He’s just a mongrel,” one of the victims said.   Read more »

My First Te Reo – Pono

It is Maori Language week again.

The Herald has changed their masthead. Here at WOBH we give far more appropriate coverage to Te Reo.

tereo


 

PONO

1. (stative) be true, valid, honest.
2. (noun) truth, non-fiction.

Modern usage:   Read more »

Another Countdown bullying stuff up, at least they’ve apologised for this one

image001

Earlier today O post about Countdown and their CEO bullying and gangin up on the FGC and Katherine RIch.

That bullying is doomed to failure but will they apologise for it like they have done for the bullying of a customer.

The mother of a pregnant woman who was wrongly accused of theft over an instore intercom at her local supermarket said staff denied that the incident occurred when she called an hour later.

Cherisse Martin, mother of Rikki Cooper, said her daughter rang her in tears after a female staff member at Countdown Dinsdale, in Hamilton, used the store’s intercom system to track her movements.

Cooper went to the Countdown on Thursday for her weekly grocery shopping when over the speakers she and other shoppers could hear a female staff member describe her as a “Maori girl” who needed to be watched.

The incident has sparked outrage across New Zealand and a Facebook account has been set up to boycott the Countdown supermarket on Whatawhata Rd.   Read more »

Labour’s war on cops continues

According to Labour, the cops are liars.

Police were under government orders to “minimise” the number of domestic violence charges they lay to make crime statistics look good, Labour MP Andrew Little claimed yesterday.

But the claim has been strongly denied by both police bosses and the Government.

Family violence figures released yesterday by the University of Auckland’s Family Violence Clearinghouse show police charges for domestic violence offences dropped by up to 29 per cent from 2009/10 to last year.

And for the same period, the number of offences recorded by police fell by nearly 10,000.

But the number of investigations into family violence grew from 86,800 in 2010 to 95,100 incidents last year.

Little, a list MP and New Plymouth’s Labour Party candidate, said he believed the drop in family violence charges was due to the Government putting direct pressure on police to lower the crime statistics.

“What I have been told authoritatively is that front line police have been told to minimise the number of charges they lay.

“That is not just family violence but across the board. I’m told it’s not just domestic violence, it’s all forms of offending.

“I think that a combination of that and using police safety orders is what is showing up in the reduced number of charges in relation to domestic violence,” Little said.

Just when you think they can’t get any more desperate, Labour resurrect their hate campaign against frontline police.  Read more »

One job a senior Nat official need not apply for

Judith Collins and Anne Tolley have announced the position of Chief Victims Advisor to advise on the needs and views of victims of crime, including domestic violence victims.

A cross-government approach to prevent family violence proposes new Justice sector initiatives to keep women and children safe, Justice Minister Judith Collins and Police and Corrections Minister Anne Tolley announced today.

“The high rate of family violence in New Zealand is unacceptable – too many domestic violence victims continue to be re-victimised even when a protection order is in place,” Ms Collins says.

“This Government is committed to do more to end family violence. That’s why we’re proposing a suite of initiatives to increase the safety of family violence victims, reduce the risk that they will be re-victimised and make services more responsive to victims’ individual needs.”

The Justice sector’s stronger response to family violence links with Associate Minister for Social Development Tariana Turia’s work to promote community wide rejection of family violence. Together with the Government’s focus on vulnerable children, it will help future generations of children to grow up without family violence.    Read more »

Vexatious litigant and dud root loses in High Court

prostitute-1200

A vexatious litigant and a dud root has lost in his attempt to get a refund from a hooker.

Lord knows why his name and details haven’t been published.

A man who tried to sue a prostitute for a refund has lost his case in the High Court.

The man, who’s known as Mr N, hired a private investigator to track the sex worker down after he felt he hadn’t had his money’s worth, when his session with the woman ended prematurely.

Today’s Sunday Star Times reports Mr N claimed compensation and damages, because the woman breached a contractual agreement.    Read more »

Sensible Sentencing Trust lodges formal complaint against a Judge

Yesterday I wrote about a dud judge in Christchurch.

Now the Sensible Sentencing Trust is laying a formal complaint about the actions of the judge.

The Sensible Sentencing Trust is lodging a formal complaint against a Judge who was reluctant to allow a sex abuse victim to read her victim impact statement in court saying the Judge showed an unacceptable bias towards the offender.

Full Story at:

http://courtnews.co.nz/2014/04/10/child-sex-abuse-victim-speaks/#axzz2yXg4L0LF

Trust Spokesman, Garth McVicar said Judge Saunders wanted the victim to attend a restorative justice conference, which the victim refused. Judge Saunders then questioned why the victim now wanted to read her statement in court, where the defendant did not have a chance to reply effectively.

“We think Judge Saunders was totally out of order and caused unnecessary anguish to an already traumatized and stressed victim. It is incredibly difficult for a victim of sexual abuse to speak-up, but to then be challenged as to why she wanted to read her victim impact statement to the court is unacceptable.”   Read more »

No jail time for child rapist, should have stretched his neck instead

A dud judge in the US has let a child rapist off a custodial sentence because the poor petal might get a hiding in jail.

The millionaire heir to the fortune of the American chemical company DuPont has escaped prison after raping his three-year old daughter because a judge considered he wouldn’t “fare well” in prison.

Robert H Richards IV pleaded guilty in 2008 to fourth degree rape, which usually carries a 15-year sentence in the US, but a Superior Court judge suspended his eight year sentence because she considered he would not “fare well” in prison, The News Journal reported.

Judge Jan Jurden ruled Richards needed treatment and noted that child molesters are often targeted by other inmates in prison. Richards won’t serve jail time unless he violates his probation.

The rape case made headlines earlier this month after Richards’ ex-wife filed a lawsuit seeking compensatory and punitive damages for assault, negligence, and inflicting emotional distress on his two children, after claiming he also abused their 19-month-old son around the same time.  Read more »

HoS editorial on Name Suppression for the “Politician”

The Herald on Sunday followed up its story about the “politician” from the leafy suburbs with an editorial about the same case.

The editorial drops some hints as to the identity. Please do not take that licence to guess in the comments…to do so will get you the ban hammer faster than Pete or Travis can swing it.

He is one of the wealthiest men in New Zealand. He supports MPs who changed the law to expressly state that a defendant’s public profile should not, of itself, be grounds for keeping his identity secret.

And, in an acrimonious, multi-million dollar marriage break-up, this man was alleged to have grabbed or touched his wife’s neck, and admitted trying to kick in the door of their home and shouting abuse at her.

But in the Family Court this week, Judge David Burns ordered that the man’s identity be indefinitely suppressed – that anyone who even whispers at his identity be liable to three months’ imprisonment or a $2,000 fine.

Why? It is because his Queen’s Counsel, Lady Deborah Chambers, used a clause in the Family Courts Act to have him categorised as a “vulnerable person”, as both he and his wife had unsuccessfully sought protection orders against each other at the height of the drawn-out, torrid break-up.  Read more »