Cactus Kate knows tax…especially how to pay as little as possible. She makes a few changes to tax cheat Matt McCarten’s tax regime:
Matt doesn’t like paying tax or dealing with the IRD so he is a poster-child for the changes suggested.
1. Abolish 15 per cent GST. Replace with 1 per cent financial transaction tax as recommended by the New Zealand Bankers Association. Same money.
2. Abolish PAYE on wages and salaries. Replace it with a wealth tax and a capital gains tax when shares, businesses, land and property are sold. People are taxed when they’re cashing up, not when they are making it.
3. 90 per cent Death Tax. You can’t take it with you. Grown-up kids should earn their own money anyway. And what a fabulous run on trust and estate planning this would be as well as retail spending.
4. Rent-to-buy Housing NZ homes underwritten by banks the state. Limiting children in current state funded homes to two a family and having a capital gains tax will keep welfareprices affordable.
5. State-created work schemes for all long-term jobless. Even if they dig a hole and fill it up again.
6. A living wage set at $20 an hour minimum. It would be a stimulus package. Especially when abolishing welfare for families and state housing.
7. No tax on all funds profits kept in a business or trusts.
8.Free public transport in Auckland major cities. That would get people out of their cars but not as much as congestion charging and tolls.
9. Victims get 100 per cent state compensation for loss or injury. Offenders will work it off if necessary.
10. Make KiwiSaver a state-owned fund and sell buy all the Government’s non-core commercial assets.