The NZ Herald has written a story about the front page for tomorrow’s Charlie Hebdo edition and despite being sent it they are refusing to publish it. The NZ Herald originally stated that they had chosen NOT to publish it but have now removed that comment from their article.
The front page of the upcoming “survivors” edition of the French satirical weekly Charlie Hebdo shows a cartoon of the Prophet Muhammad holding up a “Je Suis Charlie” sign under the words: “All is forgiven”.
The front page was released to media today ahead of the magazine’s publication on Thursday NZ time, its first issue since an attack on the weekly’s Paris offices last week left 12 people dead, including several cartoonists.
It also shows Muhammad with a tear in his eye.
The special edition will have a print run of three million copies instead of the usual 60,000.
It will also be offered “in 16 languages” for readers around the world, one of its columnists, Patrick Pelloux, said today.
Charlie Hebdo’s lawyer, Richard Malka, told French radio the upcoming publication would “obviously” lampoon Muhammad – among other figures – to show staff would “cede nothing” to extremists seeking to silence them.
“We are not giving an inch. The spirit of ‘Je Suis Charlie’ also implies a right to blaspheme,” Mr Malka said.
Read more »