Prisoner raped woman while on day release. That just has to be another Serco thing, right?

Nope.  Apparently these things happen all the time on Corrections’ watch.

A prisoner has raped a woman while on a release to work programme, sparking a major internal probe by Corrections.

The 35-year-old has pleaded guilty at Christchurch District Court to the rape which happened in May last year.

Since the shocking incident, Corrections has “significantly strengthened” the rules around its Release to Work (RtW) programme.

The inmate, serving a two-year, eight-month sentence at Rolleston Prison for injuring with intent to injure, had a placement with a local employer from February 25 last year.

During his placements, a woman visited his unsupervised workplace to have sex with him.

But during one of the visits, they argued and the prisoner raped her in a car, according to Fairfax Media.

Ian Bourke, Corrections’ regional commissioner for southern region, said the department was contacted by police about the allegations on May 6 last year. Read more »


If Serco isn’t fit to run prisons then neither is Corrections

Labour, via leadership hopeful Jacinda Ardern, continues to go full retard on Serco.

She has claimed that Serco isn’t fit to run prisons because apparently only in Serco prisons do people get raped.

Labour says private prison company Serco must be booted out after an alleged rape in a jail.

Police, The Department of Corrections and Corrections Minister Peseta Sam Lotu-Iiga were all investigating after the prisoner, previously segregated, was moved into the “mainstream” jail population, then allegedly beaten up and sexually assaulted.

Labour’s acting Corrections spokeswoman Jacinda Ardern said the incident was “clear evidence” Serco was not fit to run New Zealand’s prisons.

“After the chaos and violence we saw at Mt Eden Prison, we are now seeing Serco isn’t fit to run Wiri prison either.

“It’s there in black and white in Serco’s contract that they have to run proper segregation policies at Wiri to keep at-risk prisoners safe. They clearly aren’t living up to that.”

Read more »


Anyone have a problem with the DIA, Customs and Immigration knowing the names of all our prisoners? Yeah, thought not.

Labour will no doubt oppose this initiative, they are after all the crim-friendly party in parliament.

Justice Minister Amy Adams says she’ll take steps to ensure there’s no way serious offenders are able to travel the way Phillip John Smith did.

The convicted murderer and child molester was able to obtain a passport and fly to South America while on temporary release from prison.

An inquiry report released on Thursday found numerous failings in justice agency systems and recommended a raft of changes.

Ms Adams says she’s working on it.   Read more »

Phillip Smith’s legacy actually includes something that’s good

It was clear the whole temporary release thing was poorly monitored and put the community at risk.  

When criminals get sentenced, they should serve their time, and not be allowed out on excursions, day trips and long weekends.

The number of prisoners on temporary release has fallen dramatically since Phillip John Smith flew to South America last year, Corrections says.

Smith, a convicted murderer and sex offender, used a system of temporary release of prisoners to flee to South America,

Official figures from the department said the number of prisoners being approved fell from 806 in the 2013-14 year to 466 in the past year.   Read more »

Oh look. Philip Smith was a Corrections stuff up. But don’t expect Labour to highlight that

When Labour launched their all out attack on Serco they ran the risk of looking like hypocrites by demanding Corrections sack Serco and take back the prisons they run.

Corrections own record is abysmal. But Labour won’t say a bad thing about them, nor will they actually embrace an improved competition model.

Meanwhile it has emerged that it was Corrections who stuffed up the whole Philip Smith case.

A catalogue of failures from multiple agencies allowed runaway paedophile and killer Phillip Smith to leave New Zealand, but a Government inquiry says the system is not fundamentally broken.

Smith was able to leave New Zealand for South America using a passport obtained under his birth name of Traynor while on leave from Spring Hill Prison in November last year.

He fled to Chile then boarded a flight to Rio de Janiero where he was recaptured at a hostel during an international manhunt.

Smith was briefly held in a Brazilian prison while awaiting deportation and is now back behind bars in New Zealand.

The report says it wouldn’t have happened if someone had just picked up a phone and done some basic checks.   Read more »

Speaking of it being a zoo on Corrections’ watch, here’s another one

Perhaps the NZ public should start fining Corrections as well?

At least then we can see in hard dollars which is better, Serco or Corrections.

A prison psychologist who had a sexual relationship with a patient and tried to isolate him from others after his release may now face legal action.

The health watchdog today released a report criticising the psychologist for not just the “unethical” relationship but also accessing the male inmate’s prison records for personal reasons.

The psychologist, who has not been named and is no longer practising, began a relationship with the man the day of his release.

She bought him a phone which she used to track him along with giving him a car and money.    Read more »

Violence in a prison…sack Serco…oh wait…

Yet another violent incident in a prison not run by Serco.

A prison guard has been attacked by an inmate with a weapon at Manawatu Prison.

Prison director Andy Langley says two other staff members were hurt while they tried to disarm the prisoner.

The guards have been given medical treatment, but their injuries aren’t life threatening, Mr Langley said.

The inmate is being transferred to Rimutaka Prison and his security classification will be reviewed.

Police are investigating.

Read more »

Correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t Rimutaka prison run by Corrections?

Silence once again from the Opposition over prisoners running amok, or in this case making hooch inside a Corrections-run prison.

Eight prisoners have been dumped from a special unit at Rimutaka after home brew was found in two cells earlier this month.

The prisoners were suspected of being intoxicated and staff put the Drug Treatment Unit into lockdown and it was searched.

Prison director Chris Burns says the ringleader faced internal misconduct charges which were upheld by the Visiting Justice. The man was new to the unit and had not started his treatment for drug and alcohol abuse. His security classification was reviewed and upgraded to maximum security.    Read more »

The real reason behind the Serco hit jobs finally revealed

Despite Mt Eden Prison descending into chaos under Serco, Prime Minister John Key doesn’t think giving control to a private operator was a mistake.

“You have to be careful what you wish for because we’ve had publicly run prisons that have had issues as well,” says Mr Key. “Mt Eden Remand Prison isn’t the easiest prison in the world to run.”

But voters disagree.

When asked should private operators run prisons, 70 percent said no, the Government should run them.

Just 13 percent said Serco should run prisons, while another 13 percent said private providers are OK – but not Serco. The rest didn’t know.

“The private sector provides a tension between keeping both the public and private sector honest,” says Mr Key.

The Government is locked into a 10-year $300 million contract with Serco to run Mt Eden and Wiri prisons. Read more »


Prisoner dies in Corrections run Auckland Prison


AN INMATE has been found dead at maximum-security Paremoremo Prison – and this time it’s on Corrections’ watch.

Just weeks after taking over the management of Mt Eden Corrections Facility from private company Serco following allegations of prisoner mistreatment, Corrections is now facing questions of its own after the suicide of an inmate at one of the prisons it runs.

The death is another black mark against the prison service, and further evidence that more needs to be done in the field of suicide prevention not only in private prisons but also in state-run ones as well.

In this latest case, prison guards found a member of the Headhunters gang, believed to be in his 30s, dead in his cell on the top landing of B block in the early hours of Sunday morning.

Prison sources say the man had hung himself.

It is understood the death has been referred to the Coroner and will also be subject to a review by the Corrections Inspectorate.

Both these steps are largely procedural and are unlikely to shed any light on the bigger questions, including why the man wasn’t flagged as a suicide risk by Corrections staff who are supposedly trained to pick up when an inmate is in serious emotional distress.   Read more »