Last nightÂ TVNZ lead with a story about a Tauranga case where the CrownÂ SolicitorÂ opted for cost saving over public safety and basically let a rapist walk who (quite predictably) has now raped again.
The organisation charged with prosecuting criminals has been accused of allowing a violent offender to attack again.
Neihana Rangitonga has admitted kidnapping a woman for sex and threatening to kill her.
Now another woman who alleges she was an earlier victim says the handling of her case by Crown prosecutors meant another woman was attacked.
For nearly four years, the woman who claims she was an earlier victim has been monitoring news reports about sex attacks, wondering if the man she says attacked her had struck again.
“Anytime something happens in the news, I think about it, that memory,” she told ONE News.
Then last month, Rangitonga was arrested for abducting a 21-year-old student for sex and threatening to kill her.
He has pleaded guilty to picking her up from a Mount Maunganui Burger King drive through in the early hours of May 10 and trying to force her into sex.
The terrified woman managed to jump from his car and raise the alarm.
“If anyone didn’t believe me at the police station, I thought if they don’t believe me now they’ll know,” says the woman who alleges she was an earlier victim.
Four years earlier, Rangitonga was arrested and charged with raping and wounding this woman, who can’t be identified for legal reasons.
The pair met on a bus and she agreed to go to a park with him to take drugs. Â Read more »