It was revealed last month that Earl Hagaman, chairman of Scenic Hotels, made a $100,000 donation a month before his company was awarded a contract to run Niue’s Matavai luxury resort.
The resort is heavily funded by New Zealand government aid and is owned by a trust on behalf of Niue’s government.
At the time, Mr Little questioned the timing of Mr Hagaman’s donation and the awarding of the contract, and called on the auditor-general to investigate.
Colin Craig has been taking diabolical liberties in his various court cases, but one in particular should send a shiver down the spine of anyone involved in politics.
His bid to silence three people who told the truth about him had a turn for the worse for him with the court rejecting his attempt to go trawling through emails after he tried to execute third-party discovery on Vodafone.
An application by former Conservative Party leader Colin Craig to have Vodafone New Zealand release correspondence between former Conservative Party Board members has been rejected by a court.
Colin Craig made the application in March as part of an ongoing discovery process in one of a string of defamation cases.
In this particular case he’s suing former Conservative Party board member John Stringer for defamation after the party fell to pieces during the Dirty Politics saga. Read more »
Another of Andrew Little’s smears looks to have backfired with the aggrieved parties notifying him he needs to withdraw the smears or face a long and debilitating defamation action.
Labour leader Andrew Little has been threatened with defamation action by the owners of a hotel chain.
Earl Hagaman, the founder of the Scenic Hotel Group, said Mr Little had a week to retract and apologise for comments he made last month about the management of a resort owned by Matavai Niue Limited.
If Mr Little did not do so, he would face defamation proceedings, Mr Hagaman said in a statement.
Mr Little made the comments outside Parliament’s debating chamber, and was therefore not covered by legal privilege.
Mr Little said he had received a letter from the Hagaman’s lawyer this morning. He was now “considering the issue and taking advice”.
He added: “I will not be restrained from undertaking my constitutional role of calling the government of the day to account.”
On April 18, Labour called for the Auditor General to look into Scenic Hotels Group’s contract to manage the Matavai resort after it was discovered that Mr Hagaman, gave a $101,000 donation to National the month before the contract was announced in 2014.
Mr Little said at that time that the close timing of the donation to the awarding of the contract “stinks to high heaven”. Read more »
John Shewan, the tax expert appointed to review New Zealand’s foreign trust laws, has flatly rejected a claim that he advised the Bahamas government on ways to protect that country’s tax haven status.
The claim was made by Labour leader Andrew Little, who is attacking Prime Minister John Key for appointing Mr Shewan.
In parliament on Wednesday, Mr Little asked Mr Key: “Does he not see that there is a fundamental problem with appointing a person to review our foreign trust laws who has advised a government on how to protect its tax haven status?”
Mr Little said Mr Shewan, and former Reserve Bank governor Don Brash, were asked to go to the Bahamas by Mr Key.
At least he got Mr Shewan’s name right. The truth however, is a totally different matter. Read more »
[UK} Police are being ‘swamped’ by a massive increase in online crime and require new legislation to tackle the problem, a top chief constable has warned.
Stephen Kavanagh, Chief Constable of Essex Police is also the National Police Chiefs’ Council lead on Digital Intelligence and Investigation. He has warned the current legislation is hampering the investigation of online crime.
He said: ‘Often victims don’t know how to articulate what happened to them, they aren’t clear what the offence is if there is one. When they then get an ambiguous response from the police, it undermines their confidence about what has happened. It is not just about officers and staff being confident, it is about victims being confident that what has taken place is a crime. So the law needs to be pulled together and the powers consolidated into a single place.’
The Crown Prosecution Service is currently updating its guidelines on tackling cyber crime and abuse over social media.
The CPS has launched a ten-week public consultation on proposals to update Social Media Guidelines.
Director of Public Prosecutions Alison Saunders said: ‘Online communication is developing at such a fast pace, new ways of targeting and abusing individuals online are constantly emerging. We are seeing more and more cases where social media is being used as a method to facilitate both existing and new offences.
‘It is vital that prosecutors consider the bigger picture when looking at evidence and examine both the online and offline behaviour pattern of the defendant. Online abuse is cowardly and can be deeply upsetting to the victim.
It’s pretty much open season online. The authorities are having difficulty coping. The to- and fro- nature of the exchanges also means that evidence continues to pile up even after the first complaint has been laid. Read more »
Republican US presidential front-runner Donald Trump says that if elected he will “open up” libel laws to make suing the media easier.
Speaking at a rally in Fort Worth, Texas, Trump on Friday said the change was necessary to combat what he described as the “dishonesty” of major American newspapers.
Trump routinely criticises the press during campaign appearances, complaining about coverage he says is unfair and at times singling out people or news outlets for special insults. Read more »
Disgraced TV icon Bill Cosby, who allegedly used his celebrity status over the years to sexually assault more than 50 women, has filed a defamation suit against seven of his accusers.
The comedian, 78, once among America’s biggest television stars, filed the suit in a court in Springfield, Massachusetts, his lawyer Monique Pressley said in a statement.
Cosby’s suit, accusing the women of defamation and “intentional infliction of emotional distress”, staunchly rejects the sex assault allegations that have derailed his career and sullied his once sterling reputation. Read more »
New Zealand cricketer Chris Cairns will have to defend a $3.4 million civil lawsuit in London, according to a report in Britain’s Daily Telegraph.
Cairns was acquitted earlier this week of committing perjury and perverting the course of justice during a libel case he won in 2012. Read more »
Just to keep an eye on proceedings, this is what Granny received from Colin Craig
From: Colin Craig <[email protected]>
Cc: ‘Helen Craig’ <[email protected]>; ‘Steve Plummer’ <[email protected]>
Sent: Thursday, 19 November 2015 10:42 AM
Subject: NOTICE OF DEFAMATION. (2)
Good Morning [name redacted].
Thank you for responding.
Just to be clear:
1. We do hold evidence that you have been corresponding with Mr Stringer.
2. The allegations have not been taken off the coNZervative blog.
3. I have explained the context in which the allegations are being made public.
4. I have also explained the allegations are now part of legal proceedings that will be covered by media.
Also to be clear we do indeed hold evidence that you have made these statements (and others) and I appreciate the honesty in your response below, in that you have not denied making them. Read more »
If you didn’t catch last night’s article where Colin Craig sent a rather impressive letter to someone, you’ll need to catch up first. Then come back and read this.
Whaleoil has obtained “Grandma”‘s reply to Mr Craig’s letter.
19 November 2015
Re your email of 18 November 2015.
LEAVE ME ALONE! I consider your post-litigation email between us, which decided in my favour, a re-opening of matters already decided by the court and you harassing me because you did not like that result. This appears to be the case, from your reference too!
“You will recall that you previously made allegations of fraud (or theft) at the ERA hearing between us and you were required to retract these allegations at the hearing after we had independent auditors show you were wrong.” You are silly re-litigating the Court’s decision which was in my favour
I would suggest that you do not contact me in any way, not by phone, txt, email or visit me. In failing this I will have no alternative but to go to the Police. You are therefore on notice from today, being 19 November 2015. Read more »