40,000? Is this the real reason for the Job Summit – Observation by the Owl
EPMU and the Greens are holding their “job crisis summit” on Friday. They have invited Labour (belatedly) and NZ First but forgot to invite the Government (why the Owl is unsure but it is sort of celebrating your Grandparents 50th wedding anniversary and forgetting to invite Granddad).
This is a very naive meeting and shows how out of touch the Greens are with the Business community.
There are thousands of businesses in NZ that have regular Board or Senior Management meetings. Every company and small owner looks at their businesses on a daily basis and if they are concerned they talk to their accountants or lawyers but they do not ring up the Unions for advice.
So while Bill, Rusty, Winney and Dave stand in front of a crowd of possibly 100 well wishers with some graphs, numbers and worried faces, 150,000 working proprietors and 1.3M workers will be doing what they have been doing for the last 100 odd years in NZ – working and keeping the economy going.
- Does the “Gang of Four” (EPMU, Greens, Labour, and NZ First) really think they are going to arrive at a consensus?
- Does the “Gang of Four” really think what they come up with business people are going to say “gosh we need to implement this straight away!”
- Does the “Gang of Four” understand this meeting will be as exciting as the AGM for the local Bridge Club.
- To create manufacturing jobs you need mining, drilling and raw materials sourced from MOTHER NATURE.
- Even MSM reporters have said on national radio this meeting will not get much press coverage (ZB Talkback)
Is this real reason for the EMPU call a job crisis summit?
While the NZ economy is experiencing growth, the annual deficit is decreasing, crime is decreasing and we finally won the Rugby World Cup, the EPMU membership and financial situation is in decline.
As the biggest donor to the Labour Party the EPMU needs to have more members so the Labour Party who relies heavily on Union donations can avoid financial hardship leading up to the 2014 elections.
The EPMU are happy at least that the Greens gave them a foot in the door with some economic policy, while Labour struggles and populous NZ First Leader Winston will let them all talk, and then make a statement that supersedes what the group decides.
For the Record
- EPMU membership is in massive decline yet manufacturing job numbers have remained static for years,
- EPMU has eroded millions off their balance sheet,
- EPMU has reported multi-million dollar losses over the years,
So how can EPMU help?
Well the answer is on their doorstep. The EPMU and the EPMU Education Training Fund.
The Trust was set up for education of members and training grants however all revenues have been soaked up by two staff ($100k each according to their latest financial reports).
It is technically insolvent by $3M and the auditors only allow it to continue to trade because the EPMU have given the Trust assurance it won’t call on the $6M loan.
How about the EPMU and the Trust get wound up and approximately $12M is realized. At a minimum wage of $15.00 the EPMU can subsides 385 people for 12 months to manufacturers.
You know I actually think people in NZ are actually quite happy especially with summer on our doorstep.