Federal Bureau of Investigation

Photo Of The Day

Before it was synonymous with hippies, peace and love, one infamous VW Combi van was riding across America to brazenly spread a message of hate. Pictured at a gas station in 1961 by LIFE photographer Joe Scherschelthe iconic vintage vehicle suddenly loses its charm … Lincoln Rockwell is pictured above, third from the left, amongst this sad group of men.

Before it was synonymous with hippies, peace and love, one infamous VW Combi van was riding across America to brazenly spread a message of hate. Pictured at a gas station in 1961 by LIFE photographer Joe Scherschelthe iconic vintage vehicle suddenly loses its charm …
Lincoln Rockwell is pictured above, third from the left, amongst this sad group of men.

Riding the Hate Bus, 1961

Read more »

Photo Of The Day

Ma Barker and her Thompson gun in an undated picture of the legendary matriarch. Ma Barker had four sons: Herman, Lloyd, Arthur and Fred, who, with Alvin Karpis, formed the Barker-Karpis Gang in 1931. That year, Fred and Alvin shot a sheriff to death. The murder started a pattern of thoughtless killing by the gang. Ma Barker became a wanted woman.

Ma Barker and her Thompson gun in an undated picture of the legendary matriarch. Ma Barker had four sons: Herman, Lloyd, Arthur and Fred, who, with Alvin Karpis, formed the Barker-Karpis Gang in 1931. That year, Fred and Alvin shot a sheriff to death. The murder started a pattern of thoughtless killing by the gang. Ma Barker became a wanted woman.

Ma Barker

Read more »

Herald and tainted Journo continue to run lines for Kim Dotcom

The Herald and David “tainted” Fisher continue to shill lines on behalf of Kim Dotcom.

They have run a story today about some supposed new “evidence”.

Government minister Jonathan Coleman knew the FBI was interested in Kim Dotcom before his officials granted the tycoon residency – a revelation which has led to accusations he misled the public.

The accusation comes after Immigration NZ released a statement making it clear they told Dr Coleman about the FBI the day before the criticial residency decision was made.

Dr Coleman – now Defence Minister – is now facing calls to come clean on exactly what he was told the day before Dotcom was granted residency by Immigration NZ officials.

It emerged last week Dotcom was given residency in 2010 despite the SIS urging Immigration NZ to tell their minister the FBI was carrying out a criminal investigation into him and wanted the help of NZ Police.

Dr Coleman was briefed by Immigration NZ chief executive Nigel Bickle on October 28, the day before Dotcom was granted residency.

Dr Coleman distanced himself from the decision, saying it was made by officials. He said: “Ministers had absolutely no knowledge of any pending FBI-NZ Police investigation.” ¬† Read more »

Roughan on Dotcom’s conspiracy theory

John Roughan damns David “tainted” Fisher with faint praise, this morning, for his big reveal that wasn’t.

Conspiracy theories may be mad but they are fun. When my colleague David Fisher unearthed documents this week showing how the Security Intelligence Service had cleared Kim Dotcom’s application for residency in New Zealand, only Dotcom could imagine that it did him much good.

The SIS had described him as a “bad but wealthy man” who was under investigation by the FBI, but let the application go through after a call from the head of Immigration New Zealand asking why they had it on hold. “Apparently there is some political pressure to process this case,” one SIS officer told another.

The director of the SIS was briefed at that point and it was decided Dotcom could not be blocked on security grounds. But they advised Immigration to talk to the police about the FBI investigation. The agency repeated that advice a few days later and went so far as to have one of its staff brief Immigration’s intelligence man before a meeting with his minister at the time, Jonathan Coleman. After that meeting, the immigration official could only remind his SIS contact that the residence category for “high rollers” was a Government priority.

So it would seem fairly clear how Dotcom got in. Immigration admits it did not talk to the police. Coleman is a nice man, a doctor, who would give anyone the benefit of a doubt. Dotcom’s wealth explains the “political pressure”.

If this week’s disclosure reflected badly on Dotcom, his own take on the events was even worse. His theory is that the SIS dropped its opposition to his entry at the request of the FBI who believed that once he was in New Zealand he would be within their clutches. ¬† Read more »

Press Editorial on the farce that is Kim Dotcom

Memo to the Herald and TV3 there is a reason your audience alongside your credibility is shrinking…your audience are not as stupid as you think they are.

David “tainted” Fisher’s story proved there was no conspiracy despite him stretching¬†credibility¬†to breaking point. It also, if anything, undermines Dotcom’s claims that Key had heard of him prior to the raids, not that anyone really cares when he heard of¬†him.

As the editorial points out if Key did a deal with Hollywood it would be much easier to extradite him if he hadn’t been granted residency.

Good to see the useless Grant Robertson on the news defying his leaders edict for a positive campaign and calling for John Key to come clean on what he knows. SInce he wants John Key to come clean, how about his boss tells us who his secret donors. It looks Labour want to continue to play gotcha politics, and the recent polls show Labour precisely how that is working out.

The Press editorial outlines the farce that is Kim Dotcom.

As if the saga of Kim Dotcom were not already absurd enough, this week it descended into a swirl of conspiracy theories that made it look like downright farce.

The theories are not necessarily compatible with each other or even internally consistent. Their main purpose is likely to turn out to be simply that they keep Dotcom’s name in the public eye.

Following them and attempting to disentangle them certainly adds to the stock of harmless public entertainment.

The theories have been fed by the release of email exchanges from Immigration New Zealand and the Security Intelligence Service about Dotcom’s application for permanent residency in New Zealand.

The application had been sent by INZ to the SIS for routine security and criminal checks. Dotcom was apparently anxious that permanent residency be granted so when he had not heard from INZ his agent had asked about it, prompting INZ to urge the SIS to hurry up with its report.

Many have leapt on an SIS officer’s off-hand suggestion in an email that “political pressure” was behind INZ’s interest in getting the SIS report. ¬†¬† Read more »

Oh look, there was no “political pressure” now, Herald over eggs story

It looks like the NZ Herald and David Fisher have over egged their story about Kim Dotcom, with immigration officials denying any political involvement.

That isn’t stopping Grant Robertson making hay while his leader is hiding from press in Queenstown.

NewstalkZB reports:

The government’s denying it put “political pressure” on Immigration officials to grant Kim Dotcom’s residency.

It follows the release of SIS emails, showing agents wanted to hold off on the residency application because Dotcom faced investigation by the FBI.

But they quickly gave it the green light, after being told Immigration New Zealand faced “political pressure” to get it approved.

A senior Immigration official said the then-minister, Jonathan Coleman, was an “interested party” in the application, because the government wanted more “high rollers”, like the internet mogul, gaining residency

Dr Coleman’s not commenting on the revelations, except to say the decision to grant residency was made by the department, and not by him.

Immigration New Zealand now says there was “unequivocally” no political pressure on the case.

John Key’s repeatedly denied knowing anything about Dotcom until just before his arrest in 2012.

Read more »

Will the Internet Party hand back the cash?

Laila Harre is claiming that had she been immigration minister when Kim Dotcom applied for permanent residency she would have refused his residency.

The leader of Kim Dotcom’s political party says she “wouldn’t have been comfortable” granting the tycoon residency having now seen the information provided to the Immigration Minister at the time he was allowed into the country.

“It should never have got that far,” said Internet Party leader Laila Harre. “If the minister had been advised of the FBI investigation it would be extraordinary if the minister would not have blocked the ongoing residency process.”

So, if she thinks he is a ratbag that shouldn’t have even been here, how come she stands on the stage with him, and more importantly, how come she takes his money?

Will the Internet party give back the millions Kim Dotcom gave them?¬† Read more »

Will Kim Dotcom do a runner?

I’ve always said that Kim Dotcom will do a runner.

In his past life when confronted by authorities he has done one of two things…run or attempt or pretend at least to commit suicide.

His Wikipedia page notes:

Schmitz moved to Thailand to avoid investigation[11]¬†where he was subsequently arrested on behalf of German authorities.[32]¬†In response, he allegedly pretended to kill himself online, posting a message on his website that from now on he wished to be known as “His Royal Highness King Kimble the First, Ruler of the Kimpire”.[32][36]¬†He was deported back to Germany where he pleaded guilty to¬†embezzlement¬†in November 2003 and, after five months in jail awaiting trial, again received a suspended sentence (of 20 months).[35]¬†After avoiding a prison sentence for a second time, he left Germany and moved to Hong Kong in late 2003.[11]

Schmitz found Hong Kong to his liking and registered Kimpire Limited in December 2003, soon after moving there. He set up a network of interlinked companies, including Trendax which was claimed to be an artificial intelligence-driven hedge fund delivering an annual return of at least 25%.[37] However, Trendax was never registered with Hong Kong’s Securities and Futures Commission and the company was legally not allowed to accept investments or to conduct trades.[18] Dotcom was subsequently convicted for failing to disclose his shareholding to the Securities and Futures Commission, and was fined 8000 Hong Kong dollars.

Then there is the evidence the FBI has provided for his extradition case which shows:

The documents say Mr Van der Kolk and Mr Ortmann spoke twice in two years about their fears their boss, Kim Dotcom, would run away with the company’s money and go into hiding if law enforcement agencies got involved. ¬† Read more »

Why won’t the Herald speak about Dotcom’s latest court outing?

All last week we had breathless and wrong reporting from the High Court in the John Banks case, then on Friday afternoon Kim Dotcom got shot out of court on his conspiracy theories, and the suppression of the evidence against him was lifted.

3News covered it, Fairfax covered it, Larry Williams climbed in NewstalkZB on Friday night and even Radio New Zealand had extensive coverage.

FBI evidence against Kim Dotcom says his companies made more than $200 million over five years from his Megaupload website, and that he was aware of the site’s copyright infringement.

It shows his co-accused were concerned that if the authorities started investigating the website, the internet entrepreneur would take all the company’s money and go into hiding.

The High Court in Auckland on Friday lifted suppression on the summary of evidence the FBI has gathered since 2010 against Mr Dotcom, as the New Zealand courts consider the United States’ attempts to extradite him and three co-accused. The internet businessman’s lawyers had applied for suppression to continue.

The United States is seeking the extradition of Mr Dotcom and three other men accused of copyright infringement and money-laundering charges relating to the now-defunct Megaupload website.

The summary includes email and Skype discussions involving the four accused.

It details payments of up to $205 million moving from Megaupload users to the company’s accounts from which Mr Dotcom was able to distribute money.

It also shows Mr Dotcom talking about wanting to stay under the radar, and downplay the success of the site to the media.

The evidence includes a Skype conversation in March 2009, where Mr Dotcom talked to his chief technological officer and co-accused Mathias Ortmann about how they should prepare for lawsuits should they happen.

Mr Dotcom suggested hiring an in-house attorney to prepare them for anything.

The summary says that in three conversations during 2007 and 2008 between Mr Ortmann and programmer Bram Van der Kolk, the latter refers to the pair as pirates.

In each conversation, Mr Ortmann tells Mr Van der Kolk that is not the case, that they are service providers. At one point, he says that is providing a service to pirates and in another instance says they are evil. Mr Van der Kolk says a service provider is what they are legally but they know better.

Read more »

Civil suit blows Kim Dotcom’s case out of the water – he’s toast

shoot

I suspect the Internet Party “Visionary” and bank roller Kim Dotcom may be a little distracted now. ¬†What is worse than having the FBI organising your extradition?

By looking at the documents filed by the Plaintiffs, two things are now abundantly clear. ¬† The Internet Party only exists because of proceeds of crime, and Kim Dotcom’s argument that MegaUpload was just like YouTube or Google holds no water at all. ¬† Read more »