Interesting Names

When media break name suppression


In 2010 I thought I could be smart and get my way around name suppression laws by being cute. I failed, and wound up with a few convictions for breaking name suppression.

It didn’t matter that every person I named was a scumbag, or a wife beater, or a rapist. I broke the law and got lined up and rinsed by a Solicitor-General out to prove a point.

At the same time that I was before the courts TVNZ also broke name suppression in the Daljit Singh case, they weren’t even investigated much less charged. It was subtle and it was clever what they did, standing in front of election hoardings of Singh while talking about the person with name suppression.

This week at least two media outlets have breached name suppression again.

I am not going to go into the details of the case because to do so would mean that other people could do what I did to find out who it is that has their name suppressed.

But I will explain what it is the media did without the specifics.

Both Fairfax and the NZ Herald ran a story and the way they wrote it up just made you want to find out precisely who the suppressed person was.    Read more »

A good judge calls time on sex offender’s name suppression

SEX OFFENDER: Stayz Raukawa

SEX OFFENDER: Stayz Raukawa

A good judge has ended the nonsense of name suppression for a sex offender.

A Picton dance teacher who admitted child sex offences has lost his appeal for name suppression.

Stayz Te Atamira Raukawa, 43, was sentenced last month to three years and six months in prison for four charges of unlawful sexual connection and eight counts of indecency with a 15-year-old girl.

His victim, now 25, said she was “over the moon” the man’s name suppression had been lifted. She wanted to waive her name suppression so his name could be made public.

Having Raukawa’s name suppression lifted by Justice Simon France at the High Court, in Blenheim, on Tuesday was a victory, she said.

“It shows that you can make a difference. From the get-go I made it very clear I wanted my name suppression to be lifted,” she said.

“Everybody deserves to have open, transparent justice.”

She said she hoped other victims, not related to this case, would be inspired to give their views on name suppression.    Read more »

Sexual abuse victims fail in their final attempt to overturn suppression

Two sisters who overturned their own name suppression in a bid to have the identity of their attacker known have failed in their final attempt to have the scumbag outed.

The New Zealand justice system is “stacked against” sexual assault victims, say two sisters disappointed by a judge’s decision not to quash name suppression for a man who sexually abused them 40 years ago.

Christchurch sisters Karen Beaumont and Anne-Marie Forsyth launched landmark legal action to try to expose the identity of a man who sexually abused them when they were aged between 10 and 14 in the 1970s.

After a judicial review at the High Court in Christchurch, Justice Cameron Mander rejected their bid in a decision released last month.

Today Ms Beaumont and Ms Forsyth have spoken for the first time about their “disappointment in the system to uphold justice and protect potential future sexual assault victims”.

“No one knows what goes on in the shadows,” said Ms Beaumont.

“That’s the whole point and why name suppression is so very wrong.”

Read more »

Name Suppression incidence lowers since law change in 2012

I copped 9 convictions in 2010 for breaking name suppression.

The left-wing likes to hold that against me, and others, but I forced a law change and that law change has led to less people getting name suppression.

Silence can help keep secrets hidden, buried away where no one can find them.

But for New Plymouth woman Rose (not her real name), sunlight has been the best disinfectant for her family, following the court conviction of a man charged with the sexual abuse of people closely connected to her.

Rose accepts she cannot be named in order to ensure that the identities of the victims involved are protected.

But she rejects the idea that people convicted of any crime should be able to remain undercover, protected by court ordered suppression.

In her case, Austin Herbert Mayo, the man charged and convicted of sex crimes involving Rose’s loved ones, is not included in that group.

Last month, he was convicted of nine charges of indecent assault following a jury trial in the Auckland District Court.

The offending was committed between 1971-1981, at a time when Mayo lived in Taranaki. He is due to be sentenced later this month.

While Mayo’s name and convictions are now a matter of public record, other offenders dealt with in New Zealand courts are still managing to keep their deeds under wraps.

Read more »

Name suppression stigma strikes again [UPDATED]


If you are a 40-something award-winning entertainer from Auckland then everyone is going to be looking at you sideways…especially the women.

An award-winning kiwi entertainer has been accused of sex offences against four women.

The man, in his 40s, appeared in Auckland District Court yesterday where he pleaded not guilty to four counts of indecent assault and two of sexual violation.

The latter charges carry a maximum penalty of up to 20 years in jail.    Read more »

A “nephew of a prominent entertainer”

Name suppression strikes again

The nephew of a prominent New Zealand entertainer has received permanent name suppression after admitting child sex offences.

The 29-year-old received 10 months’ home detention in Auckland District Court for historic offences against three young children, and offered to pay his victims $5000 each.

His offending occurred in his capacity as a babysitter when he was aged 14-16. He was charged with two charges of sexual violation and two charges of indecent assault.

The man pleaded guilty to having coerced the children – a brother and sister aged between 4-7 at the time, and another girl of similar age – to perform sex acts on him.

His family and his victims’ were known to one another.

In sentencing, Judge Nevin Dawson told the 29-year-old his crimes were “can not and will not be tolerated”.

“I denounce your conduct. Although you were young at the time, you nevertheless knew your conduct was wrong but you still did it and you did it on a number of occasions.”

The victim impact statements were damning, Dawson told him.

“It’s quite noticeable that your offending has had a devastating affect on their lives. The victims were all vulnerable, they were very young.”

Judge Dawson granted permanent suppression after prosecutors and police said they had been unable to contact the victims for their view.

The offender is engaged and his fiancee was in the courtroom alongside members of his family.

The man offered, and was ordered, to pay each victim $5000 in emotional reparation.

Before I get into my little rant, how come the police could not contact the victims for their view?  They took victim impact statements and to be able to pay $5000 in reparation they definitely need to know who to pay it to.   So they know who the victims are… so why couldn’t they be contacted regarding name suppression?


The rest of the story would have been just fine (apart from the pathetic fine), but the Media Party had to play silly games and start off with “The nephew of a prominent New Zealand entertainer”.

All New Zealand entertainers are now tainted.

Well done Sam Boyer, decent, trained and skilled you are.  At being a dick.


– Sam Boyer, Stuff

He’ll be seeking a National Party position next


This bloke has all the right credentials.

The estranged husband of a well-known New Zealand celebrity is on trial in the Hamilton District Court for threatening to kill and assaulting his wife, and assaulting one of their children.

Suppression orders cover the name of the man, his wife and their children.   Read more »

Numbers getting name suppression drop, but more sickos hiding behind suppression

Back in 2010 I mounted a campaign against name suppression, copping 9 convictions and $8000 in fines for what was then a summary offence for breaching name suppression.

Every single person I named ended up convicted and they were either wife beaters or pedo scumbags.

As a result of my campaign Simon Power change the law to make it harder to obtain name suppression and since then the number of people obtaining name suppression have dropped.

Figures from the Ministry of Justice released under the Official Information Act show it has become harder for criminals to keep their names secret, with the number of permanent name suppression orders granted falling from 882 in 2009 to 329 in 2014.

Of the 329 people granted permanent name suppression in 2014, 185 were convicted of the offence they were charged with.

Suppression provisions of the Criminal Procedure Act 2011 came into force in March 2012 – and the number of suppression orders has dropped since then.

The changes were in response to a growing concern that the grounds for making the orders were unclear, and that suppression was granted too readily and inconsistently.

Read more »

Clare Curran breaks the law, publishes details of sex crime diplomat [UPDATED]

Politicians are supposed to be law makers, but what happens when one becomes a law breaker?

Clare Curran has published a link to an off shore publication of the details of the ratbag diplomat.

This is in contravention of suppression orders, she should be prosecuted.

curran-suppression Read more »

Who is it?

It is the question everyone is asking…Who is the “prominent leader” with a son before the courts in the news currently?

The son of one of New Zealand’s most prominent leaders will today front up to court to face charges of burglary and theft – behaviour that has devastated his father.

In an exclusive interview with Fairfax ahead of the appearance in the Auckland District Court, the 18-year-old’s father was visibly disappointed as he spoke of hoping his son would get back on the right track.

His lawyer, Paul Wicks, said that he would this morning seek name suppression – a move Fairfax will fight to prevent given his father wants his son to publicly apologise as part of any punishment.

A court may only grant name suppression to a person charged with an offence when publication of the name is likely to cause that person “extreme hardship”.

The 18-year-old is charged with three other men of breaking into an East Coast property and taking some surfboards early this year.

Wicks indicated a guilty plea would be made to those charges today.

It’s not the first time the teenager has been in trouble with the law and that was why his father had taken the unusual move in requesting an interview in an attempt to publicly shame his son into changing his ways.

His son was also there to explain his actions.

“I just think of all of the things we are trying to achieve and what he just did was . . . it really hurt,” his father said.

Read more »