Labour party

Winston is not a details man

Winston Peters has launched his Northland by-election campaign by telling voters he’s offering them “a chance in a lifetime”.

The NZ First leader’s message at a street corner meeting was that if they back him he’ll be a strong advocate for a region that’s been neglected by successive governments.

“Northland ranks very high on social deprivation that that’s an absolute indictment of National’s woeful treatment of this region,” he told a street corner crowd in Wellsford today.

Mr Peters says that between now and March 28 he’ll cover the electorate from top to bottom in his “Force for the North” campaign bus.

The seat is vacant because National’s Mike Sabin resigned last month, citing personal reasons.

It’s been a safe National seat for decades but Mr Peters says he can win it by focusing on the way the region has been neglected.

And he’s targeting National voters by pointing out the government won’t change if he takes the seat, while the region will benefit from the strong message he’ll take to Wellington.
Mr Peters is up against candidates from National, Labour and ACT, as well as a handful of independents and four representing parties that aren’t in parliament.

He’s already up there with his big bus.  Just a small problem.   Read more »

Even Rudman understands why Labour shouldn’t run in Northland

It seems everyone except Andrew Little understands why Labour shouldn’t have run in Northland.

Brian Rudman lays off bludging for a new theatre to point this out.

On National Radio yesterday, Labour leader Andrew Little was talking up his candidate’s chances, and questioning Mr Peters’ electoral appeal. In his position, it was the only thing he could do. He said Ms Prime “has a profile and understanding you might not see sitting in Wellington or Auckland”.

Rather desperately he added that “Labour has always struggled to get good numbers there” but “circumstances may well have changed and [she] may well be in with a chance”.That seems highly unlikely. Since the seat was created in 1996 it has been solidly National. At last September’s general election, National’s Mike Sabin, whose sudden resignation for undisclosed personal reasons triggered the present contest, scored 18,269 votes to Ms Prime’s 8969. The party vote gap was even wider, National on 17,412, Labour, 5913. New Zealand First, with no candidate, was close to Labour on 4546.

Then there is the strategic implications of placating Winston and changing the dynamics of parliament.

He says Mr Peters endorsed Kelvin Davis, Labour’s winning candidate, in the Maori seat of Te Tai Tokerau last election and now Labour should return the favour. He reckons the New Zealand First leader, who has family connections in the North, is the only person who, “on a good day”, could win the safe seat off National and create all sorts of turmoil for the Government.   Read more »

One Labour MP got 1/6th of all the funds raised

… Labour MP Stuart Nash was the … biggest recipient of donations, declaring he received $99,000 last year.

He said that was the key to his success in winning the Napier electorate – and in being the only candidate to win a seat back from National.

“The majority of the money actually went on full page ads in our community weekly and Napier mail,” he said.

Mr Nash said money was not the only thing needed to run a successful campaign but it was incredibly important.

“Would I have won without that level of money and level of support? Possibly. But this certainly made it a lot easier because we were able to build a profile.”

In total, Labour’s 71 candidates raised just over $604,000 in donations – less than half that of National’s candidates.

71 candidates got $604,000 – about $8500 on average.  Or, if you take Nash’s lot out and divide by 70… $7214 per candidate.   That’s just really, really sad.   No wonder they’re all looking at Nash and going “what the hell?”.   Read more »

Will Prof Haworth deliver on fundraising?

Everyone knows that the Labour Party is flat broke, and they haven’t had a decent fundraiser since Mike “Fat Tony” Williams retired.

At least they are now recognising that Andrew Little, Moira Coatesworth and Tim Barnett were worse than useless at fundraising.

Prof Haworth, who has worked as a union president and sat on the Ports of Auckland board, replaces Moira Coatsworth, who stood down in December following Labour’s election defeat.

He said Labour had been much too introverted and focussed on its own constitutional and other matters in the three years running up to last year’s election.

Fundraising also needed to be improved, he told the New Zealand Herald.
Labour spent half as much as National on last year’s election campaign and was out-spent by the Greens for the first time. Read more »

Stuart Nash wins the Money Primary

money in your back pocket

The NZ Herald says that Napier MP Stuart Nash was the best fundraiser in NZ after Hone Harawira, and Nash didn’t drop his pants and bend over to a single donor like Harawira did.

New Labour MP Stuart Nash was bankrolled to the tune of $4000 a month by political backers for more than a year leading up to last year’s general election. Read more »

Labour and union scumbags lie in report against privately run NHS hospital

It is looking like a massive scandal is erupting in the UK where one of the first privately run NHS facilities in the UK have been stitched up in a report where there were more than 200 factual inaccuracies and cost the contract operator their contract.

The main perpetrators appear to be a union boss and a Labour candidate.

Shocking new evidence has emerged that the first privately run NHS hospital was the victim of a seriously flawed inspection by the health watchdog, containing more than 200 errors.

A damning report by the Care Quality Commission last month rated Hinchingbrooke, in Cambridgeshire, ‘inadequate’ and gave it the lowest ever score for patient care.

The hospital has now been placed in special measures and Circle, the private firm that had been running it, has pulled out of its contract. At the time, there were suspicions that the CQC’s rating was influenced by Labour party activists and trade union members who opposed the involvement of private firms in the NHS.

And last night new information came to light showing the report contained at least 215 errors. These included inaccurate figures on A&E waiting times, staffing levels, cancer care, medical blunders, falls and bedsores.

All had been overstated or exaggerated and implied that the standards of care and overall performance was far worse than in reality.   Read more »

New Labour Party president Nigel Haworth must learn to put the horse before the cart

hqdefault

This bodes well for everyone except the Labour Party

The new president of the Labour party says his priority will be to sell the opposition as the government in waiting. Read more »

Lianne Dalziel comes good

Lianne Dalziel kept herself out of the Labour party for years in the eighties because she opposed asset sales.

Now she is running one of the biggest asset sales programs ever seen in New Zealand, flogging off the silverware in Christchurch to fund the rebuild.

“We are committing to go back into the capital programme and have a really good look at it again,” Mayor Lianne Dalziel said. “Every councillor is committed to making savings within the capital programme and committed to finding savings within the organisation.

“We are not going to be selling anything that doesn’t need to be sold,” she assured.   Read more »

Why isn’t Cunliffe stood down?

Yesterday Andrew Little stood down Carmel Sepuloni for something her mother is alleged to have done.

At the same time David Cunliffe was actually breaking the law, driving erratically and was pulled over by Police near Plimmerton.

Former Labour leader David Cunliffe has been nabbed by police for using his mobile phone while driving.

Mr Cunliffe was pulled over by police yesterday morning near Plimmerton, north of Wellington, after a complaint by a motorist who said he was driving erratically.

It was a second incident in a bad day for Labour MPs.

Party leader Andrew Little also stood Carmel Sepuloni down as social development spokesperson after learning her mother faced multiple charges of welfare fraud.

Mr Little said Ms Sepuloni told him the first she had known of the charges was when One News contacted her for comment yesterday.  Read more »

I’m sorry, I was wrong, I take it all back

It is not often that I am wrong, but when I am I will apologise.

I said that Andrew Little shouldn’t have stood Carmel Sepuloni down, I was wrong.

The reason I have changed my point of view is this:

1091 (2015). Carmel Sepuloni to the Associate Minister for Social Development (23 Feb 2015): What is the process that the Ministry uses for establishing whether suspected benefit fraud relating to a client having a partner despite saying they live alone, has taken place?

Hon Jo Goodhew (Associate Minister for Social Development) replied: Reply due: 03 Mar 2015

It would appear that Lindsay Mitchell was right in pointing out that Carmel Sepuloni has a history of interfering.

On one hand I can agree with the Whale that Carmel Sepuloni should not be punished for the (alleged) sins of her mother. Andrew Little has stood her down from the welfare portfolio because her mother is facing numerous benefit fraud charges, citing a “conflict of interests”.

On the other, Sepuloni has a history of getting directly involved with WINZ staff and interfering in their decisions.

In her own words, after intervening to get a benefit reinstated when someone volunteering in her office missed a WINZ seminar thereby breaking the rules of entitlement

Read more »