Name Suppression

No more hiding behind suppression for kiddie fiddling teachers

After decades of criminal teachers hiding among the community, recent changes to the Teachers Councils protocols means that teachers that have any sexual connection with students will now face permanent public exposure.

Misbehaving teachers will be routinely named and shamed, even if their misconduct came before a rule change favouring the publication of names, a disciplinary tribunal has ruled.

Former Ashburton College teacher Michael Burrell-Smith recently lost a bid to hide his name after his registration was cancelled for inappropriate relationships with at least two female pupils.

He argued the notice of charge for his conduct was filed and served before July 1, when a rule change came into effect in favour of publishing teachers’ names in disciplinary cases. Previously, the default position was that names were suppressed.

Since the new rules came in, 20 teachers whose misconduct took place before July 1 but whose decisions came out after that have appeared before the tribunal.

Six unsuccessfully sought name suppression. Read more »

Ex National MP back in court over naming “NZ’s Rolf Harris”

tau-henare-getty-1200

via TV3

Former MP Tau Henare is due back before the courts charged with naming a prominent man granted name suppression over an indecent act claim.

Henare, who retired at the 2014 election, is scheduled to return to Waitakere District Court today charged with breaching the suppression order.

He made no plea when he appeared on December 2 but could make a plea when he appears today. Read more »

Selective charges over “NZ’s Rolf Harris” name suppression breaches

facebook-banner-610x250

via SST

A New Zealand woman living in Australia is facing charges in relation to posting information online allegedly naming a prominent New Zealander who has name suppression.

The 34-year-old woman is charged with two counts of breach of suppression provisions and orders. A warrant to arrest was issued by Christchurch District Court yesterday.

A former National MP has already appeared in Waitakere District Court in relation to alleged breaches of the same court order. Read more »

Another name suppression travesty

A man who filmed members of his family in the shower then shared the footage with other paedophiles and voyeurs online has been granted name suppression – against the wishes of his victims.

The man in his 40s, who was responsible for maintenance on an island camp, was jailed for a year and nine months last week after previously admitting 29 charges at Manukau District Court.

The name of his workplace was suppressed from the outset and after sentencing, Judge Frances Eivers made an order permanently barring publication of the defendant’s name too.

Her ruling, which she said was to protect the identities of those he films, was supported by defence and police but victims in the public gallery were unimpressed.

“We don’t care,” his sister-in-law said. “We don’t want that.”

WHY?

Why does a judge implement name suppression when all his victims want him outed?   Read more »

I love this new name suppression trend

Allan Neil Rosewarne, via SMH

“Monster” Allan Neil Rosewarne, via SMH

A woman who suffered violent physical and sexual abuse for 17 years at the hands of her partner wants her name made public, saying she has nothing to hide.

Katrina Jones, former partner of sex monster Allan Neil Rosewarne, 48, has successfully applied to have her name suppression lifted by High Court judge Susan Thomas.

Name suppression for her two adult children with Rosewarne, Shoshoni Jones and Cheyenne Jones has also been lifted.

Rosewarne was sentenced in October in the High Court at New Plymouth to preventive detention for 18 charges including extreme cruelty towards Jones, her children and another partner that spanned 1990 to 2008.

He has a minimum non-release period of 10 years. Read more »

Name suppression for a charity now

1306793206429

Check this out.

Ronald McDonald House chief executive Lesley Slieker said volunteer groups had complained at the beginning of the year that there was no tinned fruit for baking, so the charity was forced to go out and buy new supplies.

She was horrified when someone they knew was arrested and charged with the theft of $478.33 of groceries intended for the families. Read more »

Why name suppression should only protect victims

It’s nice to see it done right for a change

sds

Photo.  Name.  label.

A jury took just three hours yesterday to find King guilty of eight charges of sexual offending against four female patients in the back of ambulances between 2010 and July last year.

Their verdicts were the culmination of an eight-day trial in Napier District Court.

King, 48, was employed by St John in 2009 and resigned after being suspended in August last year. Read more »

Another discharge without conviction for sexual assault

The parallels to NZ’s “Rolf Harris” are many.  Did something wrong.  On the scale of sexual assaults, it was at the softer end.  Pleads guilty.  Gets discharge without conviction.  But that’s there the parallels end.

A former Blenheim priest has been discharged without conviction on a charge of indecent assault.

Former St Mary’s parish priest father Alastair Aidan Kay, 71, appeared in the Blenheim District Court this morning for sentencing on the charge against a male over 16, which he admitted in September.

His lawyer, Rob Harrison, argued the offending had been at the lower end of the scale, despite being a “gross breach of trust”.

Judge Bruce Davidson said by the narrowist of margins he was satisfied the consequences of a conviction would outweigh the gravity of the offending.
“This is a fairly low level indecent assault in itself, but of course is made worse by the substantial breach of trust not only to the complainant himself, but also his family and the wider church community,” he said.

The discharge was on the basis that Kay was to pay $1500 in emotional harm reparations to the victim, with an immediate payment of $1000 to be made, and the balance to be paid by December 12. Read more »

“NZ’s Rolf” media name suppression battle continues

Oh dear.  We have the “prominent New Zealander” in the the NZ Herald a few days ago saying it was “just” 20 seconds of madness.  It wasn’t him.  Not the real him.  He’s never done it before, and he never did it again.

His wife nearly left him.  He’s lost work.  His children treat him like a criminal.

All over 20 seconds of madness?

“Rolf Harris”‘s victim, Louise Hemsley, using Fairfax instead of the NZ Herald strikes back with an uncomfortable level of detail:

10675373He grabbed her from behind, put his hands on her chest and placed her hand on his groin, she said.

She tried to fend him off.

‘‘As I walked into the kitchen he followed me in from behind … I said ‘what the hell do you think you’re doing?’ He said ‘I just think you’re so lovely, I’ve thought about you so much and I’ve been dreaming about this.’

‘‘I said ‘you crazy man’, I tried to push him back. You’re married and I’m married and just, you know, just stop it, don’t be so stupid. ‘‘Because he’s much taller than I am and being so short he was able to sort of overpower me. He pushed my head back and he was putting his tongue down my throat, I was trying to push him off and talk to him, just talk him out of it, telling him to get his paws off me.

‘‘During the process he put his hand down the back of my pants inside my clothing, he rubbed his hand across my chest and just kept kissing me. It was just octopus-like … and all the time he’s trying to stick his tongue down my throat.

To have a “prominent New Zealander” in your kitchen is quite amazing.  Especially when he’s there because he’s supposedly there for your husband.  But, the aura of his prominence, his size, the whole mystique… it would be intimidating without the sexual assault.   Read more »

NZ’s Rolf Harris, in a defiant interview with the Herald on Sunday, says he has no remorse

No remorse.  He’s admitted to doing it.  He just pretends it was consensual.

The Herald on Sunday allows NZ’s Rolf Harris to put forward his story, even though none of us are allowed to know who he is.

The man told the Herald on Sunday he had apologised to his wife and their children. “This has almost destroyed my marriage. My daughter and son don’t really talk to me.

They think I am a crim.”

Well there you go then Rolf.  The people who are closest to you and love you can see you are a crim.  You seem to be the only one in total denial.

Physically it had taken a toll on his health. “I’m on pills for high blood pressure. I could hardly lift my arm at one stage. I put on 10kg in six months,” he said.

And fighting the case had also left the family with “huge financial issues”, adding “half my life savings” had been spent.

Despite name suppression, many people were aware of his identity and he was struggling to get work.

“I just actually lost out on a job – I was working for this company but there was a piece about this woman’s husband screaming abuse at me. One of the shareholders of the company who lives in Dunedin said, ‘I can’t employ you’,” he said.

In recent times he said he had resorted to applying for “menial jobs”.

He had also had “rapist” spray-painted on a wall outside his home.

The man blamed the massive life upheaval, for himself and his family, on “20 seconds of madness”.

“It was the moment of madness … I don’t know what came over me,” he said.

Well.  Actually Rolf, what came over you was exactly the same as what came over you all the previous times with women who have not laid complaints.   It’s as simple as that.   Read more »