Parole Board

What is it with the left wing and crim-hugging?

David Clendon decided to follow behind Kelvin Davis for an arse-kicking from Judith Collins.

It didn’t go well for him, although Crusher was rather nice about booting him in the balls.

8. DAVID CLENDON (Green) to the Minister of Corrections: Is she confident the Department of Corrections will be meeting all of its targets by 2017?

Hon JUDITH COLLINS (Minister of Corrections): It is going to be tough, but if anyone can, the Department of Corrections can.

The set up…a pretty lame one too.   Read more »

Media party back to cuddling crims

The Media Party likes to agitate…especially on behalf of criminals, and illegal immigrants and of course there is their pimping of the poor.

It’s what they do…campaign.

Now they have taken up the cause of a bad bastard currently rotting in jail where he actually really deserves to be until he dies.

An extremely robust release plan will be needed if New Zealand’s longest serving prisoner is ever released from jail, according to the Parole Board.

Alfred Thomas Vincent, 77, has spent a record-breaking 47 years behind bars after he was sentenced to preventive detention for sexual offending against five boys in Canterbury.

On Tuesday morning, the board released its reasons why it had declined the recidivist child sex offender’s latest bid for parole.

He became eligible for release four decades ago, but had been repeatedly turned down by the Parole Board since then.

“There has also been a noticeable deterioration in Mr Vincent’s understanding of what is going on around him, and his offending. However, his risk of sexual re-offending remains,” the board’s latest decision said.

“Despite his advanced years, he is said to exhibit a strong and persistent pattern of highly sexualised interest and behaviour. If anything, he has become more disinhibited. But he is not amenable to treatment.”

He had attended the Kia Marama sex offenders course four times during his prison stint and completed it once.

“There is no question of a further referral,” the board said.

Read more »

Another Phil Smith waiting to happen then?

A brutal murderer has been allowed to walk free three times a week to “refamiliarise himself with the community” and develop his computer skills, despite the Parole Board deeming him too dangerous for release.

Jason Butler is one of a group of convicted killers who have swapped jail for mental health units while serving life sentences, becoming special patients under the Mental Health (Compulsory Assessment and Treatment) Act.

As a result, they can get up to a week’s unsupervised leave while under treatment, depending on doctors’ recommendations, which must be approved by the director of mental health.

But some of their victims’ families and friends are calling for an urgent review of such killers’ leave after murderer Phillip Smith’s brazen escape to Brazil during temporary leave from Waikato’s Spring Hill prison last month.

His escape led to a temporary halt of all inmates’ leave and a Corrections Department review, but it didn’t include convicted offenders in mental health care.

A ministerial inquiry was launched to probe Smith’s escape, but it was yet unknown whether it would include special patients’ leave.

“I think it bloody sucks because in two hours, he could be on my doorstep. That fellow got to Brazil, mate,” the best friend of Butler’s victim said about his three-times-a-week unsupervised leave.

If he is so inclined, he can leave a trail of destruction in mere hours.   And this is what needs to be balanced before letting them go on unsupervised Tiki-tours.   Read more »

Face of the day

smith1

Phillip Smith

Phillip Smith is likely to have had outside help in planning his escape to Chile while on temporary release, police say.

He may also have been planning his escape for years, authorities say.

Smith left by plane for Chile on a passport previously obtained in his birth name, on the afternoon of Thursday, November 6, the day he was temporarily released from Springhill Prison.

The passport was valid, and therefore there was no reason to stop him at the border.

 

Read more »

Photo Of The Day

Knowing that their wedding would cause a huge stir in the press, John Lennon and Yoko Ono decided to use their honeymoon to help champion world peace. On March 25, 1969, five days after their wedding, the duo climbed into the bed of room 902 at the Amsterdam Hilton and called the media. Because of their well known proclivity for appearing in the nude, the press assumed that Ono and Lennon would have sex in front of the cameras. Instead, the two appeared in pyjamas and talked about world peace.

Knowing that their wedding would cause a huge stir in the press, John Lennon and Yoko Ono decided to use their honeymoon to help champion world peace. On March 25, 1969, five days after their wedding, the duo climbed into the bed of room 902 at the Amsterdam Hilton and called the media. Because of their well known proclivity for appearing in the nude, the press assumed that Ono and Lennon would have sex in front of the cameras. Instead, the two appeared in pyjamas and talked about world peace.

John Lennon’s Killer Calls Himself ‘An Idiot’ At Parole Board Meeting

Read more »

Parole Board rescinds parole for NZ’s worst mum

These sorts of decisions are few and far between.  Rebecca Quillam reports

The mother of tortured Rotorua three-year-old Nia Glassie has had her parole revoked by the Parole Board.

Lisa Michelle Kuka was granted parole last month because the board said she no longer posed an undue risk to the community.   Read more »

Good, stop in jail for some more time

A scumbag killer has been denied parole…again…for the seventh time.

The NZ Herald reports.

One of New Zealand’s most sadistic killers is still refusing to accept responsibility for elements of his crime.

Hayden Taylor has spent more than 17 years in jail, serving dual sentences of life imprisonment and preventive detention after murdering pregnant teenager Nicola Rankin in September 1996 while on bail for raping former street worker Amanda Watt.

Taylor was denied parole at a Parole Board hearing earlier this month.  Read more »

Tell someone who cares

Boo-hoo sex offenders might spend a lifetime in jail and die there…the only wonder is why it takes a lifetime for them to die.

New Zealand’s ageing sex offenders could wind up dying in prison because of a lack of suitable community support facilities, even if they present little or no risk to the public.

Corrections Department figures obtained by the Waikato Times show more than 200 pensioner-aged offenders are behind bars.

The country’s prison population includes 97 prisoners aged 70 years and older and 13 prisoners aged 80 years and older.

Thirty-three elderly prisoners are serving sentences of preventive detention.  Read more »

Give him a good stretch

The Beast of Blenheim, Stewart Murray Wilson is back behind bars where he belongs after attempting to abscond to Australia.

The Parole Board has found he still poses an undue risk to the community after evidence emerged that he made phone calls mentioning plans to flee New Zealand.

Stewart Murray Wilson was recalled to prison on an interim basis on February 21, pending yesterday’s parole hearing. He has now been recalled indefinitely.

The Parole Board deemed Wilson posed “an undue risk to the safety of the community or any person”.  Read more »

String him up

Wonders will never cease…Stewart Murray Wilson has been recalled to prison.

Stewart Murray Wilson is tonight back behind bars after he allegedly breached the conditions of his parole by phoning someone he shouldn’t have.

Department of Corrections assistant general manager services Maria McDonald confirmed the department had successfully applied for an interim recall to prison for the man – dubbed the Beast of Blenheim.

The Parole Board considered the application this afternoon and Mr Wilson has since been returned to prison.  Read more »