Convicted sex offender Stewart Murray Wilson will be released from prison again next year.
In statement today, the Parole Board said it saw Wilson today for further consideration of parole and decided to grant it from a date in late March 2015. Read more »
Phillip Smith is likely to have had outside help in planning his escape to Chile while on temporary release, police say.
He may also have been planning his escape for years, authorities say.
Smith left by plane for Chile on a passport previously obtained in his birth name, on the afternoon of Thursday, November 6, the day he was temporarily released from Springhill Prison.
The passport was valid, and therefore there was no reason to stop him at the border.
Stephen Franks lambasts a judge over her wonky and dodgy 3 strikes ruling last week.
There has been surprisingly little attention paid to the Court’s decision last Friday not “to order that [a gang murderer] serve a life sentence without parole” despite the judge’s admission that she was “required [by the three strikes law] to order that [he] serve that life sentence without parole” unless it would be manifestly unjust.
She then converted that requirement to find manifest injustice into the standard pre-three strikes judicial quibbling about disproportionality. With breathtaking ease she slid past a previousmanslaughter to focus on the ‘relatively minor’ nature of the offences that triggered the three strikes law application, managing to take into account also the ’signs that you wish to be more pro-social as noted in the presentence report’ .
She completely turns on its head the law’s intent that offenders get greater certainty about the consequences of offending, noting that the murderer would not have known at the time of the earlier offences of the three strikes certainty.
Judicial naivete at its worst. It is only by applying the law, that offfenders believe that it will be applied. The most clear lesson from the experience where three strikes certainty was followed by dramatic reductions in offending, was that pitiless certainty finally sent the message to offenders that they could no longer gamble on meeting soft judges and gullible parole boards.
Sensible Sentencing is correct to highlight this judgment in their Judge the Judges website. But the judge concerned is orthodox. Judges generally resist punishment as a legitimate and sufficient purpose of sentencing. With Parliamentary sanction they have collectively warped criminal law from doing justice on behalf of victims and the innocent, into a primary role of therapy for the criminological needs of offenders. They do not respect the common sense intuitions of ordinary people. They resent the demand for retributive, incapacitating and deterrent punishment. To them only rehabilitative objectives are truly noble.
John Lennon’s Killer Calls Himself ‘An Idiot’ At Parole Board Meeting
Imagine you were wrongfully convicted of smuggling drugs into a country and spent 9 years in a pretty tough jail by our sorts of standards. You lose the best years of your life. On the outside, family, friends and government try to intervene and and you are finally paroled under strict conditions.
Pressure is building in Indonesia for Schapelle Corby to have her parole revoked after Indonesia’s deputy justice minister said she may have been “sneaking around the law” in her appearance on Australia’s Seven Network on Sunday.
The Corby family and Seven producers believed they would not be in breach of the Indonesian law if the Sunday Night exclusive did not include an interview with Corby herself.
But Nasir Jamil, a member of Komisi III, the parliament’s justice and human rights committee, said Mercedes Corby doing the interview was “basically the same thing”. Read more »
A scumbag killer has been denied parole…again…for the seventh time.
The NZ Herald reports.
One of New Zealand’s most sadistic killers is still refusing to accept responsibility for elements of his crime.
Hayden Taylor has spent more than 17 years in jail, serving dual sentences of life imprisonment and preventive detention after murdering pregnant teenager Nicola Rankin in September 1996 while on bail for raping former street worker Amanda Watt.
Taylor was denied parole at a Parole Board hearing earlier this month. Read more »
The Beast of Blenheim has been put back in his box after losing his appeal against his recall to prison.
Hopefully that will be the last we see of him.
Convicted sex offender Stewart Murray Wilson boasted to a vulnerable women he was banned from contacting that he could cut off his monitoring bracelet and flee to Australia with her.
The man dubbed the ‘Beast of Blenheim’ was recalled to prison in February after breaching his parole conditions by phoning a woman he was barred from speaking to under his strict release conditions.
The four-minute call in which Murray made the claims was uncovered by community probation officers and ultimately led to the sex predator’s recall to prison. Read more »
The Beast of Blenheim, Stewart Murray Wilson is back behind bars where he belongs after attempting to abscond to Australia.
The Parole Board has found he still poses an undue risk to the community after evidence emerged that he made phone calls mentioning plans to flee New Zealand.
Stewart Murray Wilson was recalled to prison on an interim basis on February 21, pending yesterday’s parole hearing. He has now been recalled indefinitely.
The Parole Board deemed Wilson posed “an undue risk to the safety of the community or any person”. Read more »
One day, not far off the citizenry are going to react really rather badly towards the judiciary and other unelected officials that continually let bad bastards out on parole only for them to continue their life of crime.
A man who sexually assaulted a young woman in a Dunedin park last September was on parole at the time from a lengthy prison sentence for serious sexual offending in 2005, the High Court in Dunedin heard yesterday.
Shaun Kahu Leonard, 29, had served seven years of a nine and a half year jail term for a rape with characteristics amounting to deviancy and sadism and had been out of jail only four months when he attacked the 25-year-old Dunedin woman on September 24 last year. Read more »
Wonders will never cease…Stewart Murray Wilson has been recalled to prison.
Stewart Murray Wilson is tonight back behind bars after he allegedly breached the conditions of his parole by phoning someone he shouldn’t have.
Department of Corrections assistant general manager services Maria McDonald confirmed the department had successfully applied for an interim recall to prison for the man – dubbed the Beast of Blenheim.
The Parole Board considered the application this afternoon and Mr Wilson has since been returned to prison. Read more »