Shane Jones

Shane Jones family man / el cheapo / destitute / social services bludger – you pick

The Herald has this very odd story today.  I’m not sure what to make of it.  It has no byline – nobody wants to own it.

Former Labour MP Shane Jones earned infamy for his stays in hotels as a minister, but the frequent flying ambassador’s crash pad in Auckland these days is a humble South Auckland state house.

Mr Jones’ home is in Kerikeri but when he is in Auckland for work or in transit he and his partner Dot Pumipi often stay with her mother, Linda, who lives conveniently close to the airport. Mr Jones said when he was not overseas he usually spent from Tuesday to Thursday in Auckland for work.

Mr Jones’ presence had clearly been noticed – the Herald was tipped off that he was staying in the property.

Tipped off no less.  Like Jones was running a meth lab from his MIL’s place.   But it gets weirder

Mr Jones said he did have a place to stay in the inner city but often went to Linda’s instead because Dot liked to spend time with her mother, who is in her 70s. He said there could be troubles in the neighbourhood and he liked to flatter himself that he provided a sense of security “even though I’m no Buck Shelford”.

It did provide handy parking for his car while he was overseas and meant he did not have to use hotels when catching early flights.

The state house crash pad option could be about to come to an end, however.

Here we go.  The mother in law lives in a state house.  But how is this relevant to Shane and Dot staying at mum’s?

Linda is about to be moved to a smaller, one-bedroom, house so her house can be redeveloped for a large family.

Linda was not paid for having them: “There’s no dodgy boarding arrangement,” he said.

A Housing NZ spokeswoman said there were no specific rules preventing state house tenants having family to stay unless it breached the tenancy agreement, caused problems for neighbours or there were issues of overcrowding. “It’s a matter of common sense.”

Oh my… someone dobbed Jones in because he was getting free accommodation on the tax payer. Because his MIL won’t charge them for staying?   (That would have been a different scandal)

This has to be the lamest hit piece I’ve seen for some time.

No wonder nobody had the guts to put their name on it.

Here comes the hit:

The Ministry of Social Development allows those on benefits or the accommodation supplement to have someone stay for up to three nights a week before it affected their entitlements.

Unbelievable.  The suggestion is that Dot’s mum should have her accommodation supplement reviewed because she’s got family staying for a while.

Sterling job Herald.  Take a bow.

 

– NZ Herald

Tagged:

Something to go to today since the weather is rubbish

image.cover.logo

Could be an interesting meeting this weekend for Aucklanders concerned about the council’s racist Unitary Plan, and trashing of property rights.

Remember when Shane Jones called a stupid digging instrument for corrupt extraction of RMA ransom payments a spade earlier this year.

Of course Labour did not pick up his mere when he left, because it did not fit with the identity politics that was all they had left. Bob Jones seems to have been the next public figure to risk tackling this issue (link). He reminded everyone that thousands of properties were newly vulnerable to iwi discovery of taniwha or other spirits and cultural needs that might need placating with koha.

A group called Democracy Action have called a public meeting in opposition to the Proposed Auckland Unitary Plan.

The Plan kowtows to iwi elite and forces the rest of us to pay in cultural impact assessment fees, and lip service to so called spiritual and cultural values (taniwha) just to do things like replacing a window or putting in a pool.  Read more »

Circus? More like a party of clowns

Labour's leadership contest has become a Carnival of CLowns

Labour’s leadership contest has become a Carnival of Clowns

Vernon Small chokes down a bite of dead rat and writes about the state of his beloved Labour party that in his mind at least has become like a circus.

By rights the political debate should be focused on the Government’s handling of two things.

How does it meet its self- imposed need to do something alongside traditional allies and friends in Iraq and Syria without getting too deeply embroiled in the war against Islamic State?

And how will John Key make a dent in the number of children in poverty, given the Government’s pre-eminent focus on work as the best route out of poverty?

That begs the obvious question: what about the large number of working poor? And how out of tune was Bill English with his view that planning laws and local government rules were the main cause of poverty because they drive up house prices?

But then along came Andrew Little, Nanaia Mahuta, David Shearer and the whole Labour three-ringed circus to demand its place in the limelight.

Read more »

Herald editorial on Cunliffe

The NZ Herald editorial echoes my belief that David Cunliffe is about to jack it in.

Their editorial is perhaps a push for him in the right direction.

Someone ought to put David Cunliffe out of his political misery. He has allowed his nomination for the Labour Party leadership, which he gave up last week, to go forward – but he should reconsider.

Not only did his political capital run dry with the public on September 20, his mis-steps since and his very presence in a “primary” contest for the leadership will degrade and destroy Labour’s hopes of unity and revival.

The entry into the race of former union leader Andrew Little, alongside Grant Robertson, might have been thought to give Mr Cunliffe reason to stand aside. Mr Little is no star but will take votes from the affiliated unions who last year were pivotal in crowning Mr Cunliffe. The Little campaign attacks Mr Cunliffe at his strongest point, with the wider party thought to be divided and the Labour caucus firmly against a Cunliffe return.

Could it be that Mr Little’s campaign has one achievable goal: to take the former leader out of the reckoning?

Read more »

Labour needs to lose dead wood, but how?

256

Dave Armstrong at Fairfax writes about Labour needing to chop out some dead wood.

Boom boom! Last week began with pure farce as New Zealand’s largest centre-Left party performed the latest episode of Labour Behaving Badly.

Like a naughty fourth former who had just received bad end-of-year reports, Labour’s caucus rounded on leader David Cunliffe, who had bravely led them down the garden path to their worst result in almost a century.

Cunliffe could rightly argue that winning was always going to be a big ask and that he did his best. But he should know that it’s only in big multinational companies where CEOs are heaped with praise and massive bonuses after a disastrous result.

Cunliffe did well in the debates and drove himself to exhaustion in the final fortnight but it was too little, too late.

Yes, Dirty Politics and the Moment of Truth denied him oxygen but it was the first six months of his leadership where the real damage was done.

Various distractions, often thanks to leaks from both sides of the House, and too many gaffes never allowed him to focus on issues. Even during the campaign he made the mistake, as he later admitted, of not working more strategically with the Greens.

Read more »

Face of the day

Grant Robertson with cute baby.

Grant Robertson with cute baby.

It’s now game on, with Grant Robertson confirming he’ll also contest the leadership – after several days of speculation.

“I think I have something to offer the Labour Party to reconnect with New Zealanders and for New Zealanders to see Labour as part of their future.

Grant Robertson says he believes the wider party will get behind him.

At the last leadership contest a year ago, Mr Robertson was the caucus favourite – but David Cunliffe won with the backing of party members and unions.

-Newtalkzb

 

Come back Shane Jones, all is forgiven LOL

Bully Boys at Countdown throw their toys out of the cot

After being busted by their suppliers for mafia style stand-over tactics and trying to run a whispering campaign against anyone who welched on them to the Commerce Commission, Countdown are now throwing their toys out of the cot and refusing to attend the Food & Grocery Council conference laters in the year.

There were rumbles around the bar leaners at last years conference from suppliers about Countdown’s behaviour, and it has come to a head this year. They only have themselves to blame, but they continue to blame the industry representative group and have former National party president Sue Wood running around putting pressure on people.

The latest tactic to pressure the FGC into silence is to withdraw from the conference.

I’m pretty sure that Foodstuffs will be pleased with that, having unfettered access to all the suppliers in a convivial atmosphere without the interference of the team from Countdown.

Dave Chambers seriously needs to get a grip and stop playing the bear in the pit. Whilst a few dogs will get mauled ultimately the bear winds up dead.

Supermarket giant Progressive Enterprises will snub its suppliers’ annual industry conference because it has been stung by allegations it bullied them, the Australian-owned company that runs the Countdown chain has confirmed.

But suppliers are reporting an improvement in their relationship with Progressive, says the Food and Grocery Council (FGC).

The council, which represents suppliers, backed claims made in Parliament early this year by then Labour MP Shane Jones that Progressive was demanding retrospective payments from suppliers under threat of having their products removed from supermarket shelves.    Read more »

Checkers players versus Chess players in politics

maxresdefault

Phil Quin notes that there appear to be many in side Labour who are playing political chess when they are more suited to playing checkers.

Leaked revelations of a dispute between Labour’s Te Tai Tokerau candidate Kelvin Davis and the party’s Head Office over a proposed negative campaign against Hone Harawira and Kim Dotcom have been used as evidence of Davis going rogue.  In truth, the documents show a candidate engaged in nothing more sinister than garden variety electioneering; of trying to win a tough political fight. The tone of the news coverage appears to align with the political objectives of whoever furnished the leaks to begin with: to shut Davis up, and and his campaign operation down.

A more intriguing, as well as troubling, aspect of the leaked emails from Labour’s General Secretary Tim Barnett suggests someone is telling porkies about the party’s Maori seat strategy, not to mention understating its eagerness to figuratively wade in Kim Dotcom’s pool.

In sharp contrast to comments David Cunliffe made as recently as last Tuesday, Barnett prohibits the Labour campaign in Te Tai Tokerau from campaigning against the Internet Mana Party which he casts as a “progressive” ally.  Cunliffe, meanwhile, repeatedly told Radio Live’s Duncan Garner that Labour was “absolutely not” doing a deal with the Internet Mana Party, and that “we are backing Kelvin Davis to win in the North.”  And yet we now know, just a few weeks earlier, Secretary Barnett was telling the Davis campaign team to refrain from “picking fights” with Harawira and Dotcom.  There shouldn’t be any doubt about what Barnett is advocating here: since ‘picking fights’ with opponents is the very stuff of elections, Barnett is effectively instructing Davis to ‘run dead’ rather than actually campaign to win in Te Tai Tokerau.

At best, this suggests Mr Barnett does not stand by his leader’s oft-repeated mantra that Labour intends to contest all seven Maori seats, including Te Tai Tokerau.  At worst, it calls into question whether any such strategy ever existed.

We are witnessing yet more attempts at three dimensional chess by people far better suited to checkers.

Read more »

New job for Clayton Cosgrove?

image001

2014 has been an unmitigated disaster for supermarket giant Countdown.

With the Commerce Commission’s investigation in full swing and, from what I’m hearing they’re leaning towards believing the suppliers over the bullies at Countdown’s head office, things are not going well for NZ boss Dave Chambers.

Maybe Dave Chambers would like to try the stunt its owners at Woolworths are now watching roll out in Australia with its arch rival Coles.

Coles has decided it needs to “rebuild bridges with grocery suppliers” and has hired former Victorian Premier Jeff Kennett to oversee a new supplier charter.   Read more »

Deja Vu…all over again

That tweet reminded me of this:

Read more »