I can’t get my head around this
Text messages purporting to be sent from missing school children trapped aboard the sunken South Korean ferry are fake, police have revealed.
In the wake of the disaster on Wednesday, text messages apparently from high school children were sent to their parents on dry land.
But, having given their distressed parents hope for their missing offspring, the messages have now been revealed to be fakes.
The Korea HeraldÂ reported the messages cannot be legitimate after an analysis of phone records showed none of the students had used their phones since the ferry flipped over.
The ferry Sewol sank off South Korea’s southern coast on Wednesday morning.
One of the text messages, sent in the aftermath of the disaster as rescue efforts got underway, was sent by a student only identified as Shin, 18.
It said: ‘Dad, don’t worry. I’ve got a life vest on and we’re huddled together.’
Her father replied: ‘I know the rescue is underway but make your way out if you can.’
He received the response: ‘Dad, I can’t walk out… The corridor is full of kids and it’s too tilted,’ the New York Post reported.
So as I read it, these were multiple messages from multiple children. Â That means someone needed access to their family’s phone numbers. Â Receiving the text messages, the family believed them to be genuine – this appears to me that they were “from” the correct phone numbers. Â The father replied and get another response.
What’s really going on?
Police said all messages claiming to have been sent from the Sewol after it went down appear to have been fabricated, reported the Herald.
Officers would not comment on the messages reported to have been sent in the morning as the ship was still sinking, many of which contained video and photos showing the boat going down.
Investigators at South Korea’s Cyber Terror Repsonse Center, part of the National Police Agency said they found none of the phones analysed had been used since noon on the day of the accident.
‘Weâ€™ve checked over 300 phones, since some people owned more than one phone,’ police said.
One sham message was sent from a phone owned by a fifth-grader in Gimpo, Gyeonggi Province, the Herald reports.
Police said the hoax is distressing for the families of the missing, adding that those responsible face criminal charges.
Can you come up with a scenario that explains all this? Â With the exception that the authorities are lying about none of the phones having been used since the capsize.
I mean, how realistic isÂ that? Â None.
What are they trying to cover up, and what is really going on here?