Apparently a woman drank herself to death on Pepsi Max…you know the sugar-free version.
That’s what the headlines say anyway.
A mother-of-one drank herself to death with Pepsi Max while on anti-depressants, an inquest heard.
Victoria Lane, from Clayton, Stoke-on-Trent, died from ‘excessive’ levels of caffeine and fluoxetine after downing up to eight litres of the fizzy drink on a daily basis because she enjoyed the taste of it.
The 38-year-old was found dead at her home by her 19-year-old son, Reese, earlier this year. He called 999 and paramedics rushed to the scene, but they were unable to revive his mother.
A post-mortem examination later found the combination of Pepsi Max and prescription drugs had led to ‘excessive consumption’ of both caffeine and fluoxetine, resulting in Miss Lane’s death.
The inquest heard how Miss Lane had struggled with depression, anxiety and paranoia for years.
She had been prescribed drugs, including fluoxetine, to help, but had also started to drink heavily.
Because she liked the taste of Pepsi Max, she decided to use it as a mixer for vodka. The drink also helped her with the side-effects of the drugs, which left her with a dry mouth, her mother said. Read more »