CentrePort in Wellington must be a bunch of tools to not see this coming. The Port of Tauranga went to court successfully on Sunday to get a blanket injunction against secondary strike action.
An industrial dispute at Wellington’s port heads to court this morning, with a Maritime Union Wellington spokesman saying they expect to be ordered back to work.
A fully loaded 14,000-tonne cargo ship remains in limbo at Wellington’s wharf as industrial action at the Port of Auckland spreads across the country.
Unionised cargo workers at the capital’s port declined to handle the Maersk Aberdeen when it came into port on Friday because it had been worked on by non-unionised workers in Auckland.
The ship has been “blacked” by Wellington wharfies, with Maritime Union members picketing the port during the weekend.
Yesterday, CentrePort announced it would seek a court injunction from the Employment Court to force the workers to handle the ship. The hearing was set to start at 9.30am today.
This morning, Maritime Union Wellington secretary Mike Clark said it expected to be ordered back to work today.
“That’s usually how these things go.”
Workers would comply with any court ruling, he said.
“You can’t disobey a court order.”
How about the Maritime Union comply with the law about secondary strikes.