Man killed lighting cigarette. Darwin’s theory is still valid

Darwin came calling with the Grim Reaper and won this time:

An invalid beneficiary died from burns after he tried to light a cigarette while connected to an oxygen supply, Otago-Southland coroner David Crerar has found.

Patrick John Ferris, 53, of Gore, died on August 14 in Southland Hospital from burns and inhalation injuries to his throat and lungs. 

At home the previous day, connected to the oxygen supply which assisted his breathing, Mr Ferris used a cigarette lighter to try to light a cigarette.

“This created an immediate fire which caused the injuries which proved fatal,” Mr Crerar said in his written finding.

Mr Ferris, who was terminally ill, had been advised of the risks of smoking while connected to oxygen.

Oh well he was a dead’un anyway. This is more common than you would think. Youtube has hundreds of videos of these fools.


Do you want:

  • Ad-free access?
  • Access to our very popular daily crossword?
  • Access to daily sudoku?
  • Access to Incite Politics magazine articles?
  • Access to podcasts?
  • Access to political polls?

Our subscribers’ financial support is the reason why we have been able to offer our latest service; Audio blogs. 

Click Here  to support us and watch the number of services grow.

As much at home writing editorials as being the subject of them, Cam has won awards, including the Canon Media Award for his work on the Len Brown/Bevan Chuang story. When he’s not creating the news, he tends to be in it, with protagonists using the courts, media and social media to deliver financial as well as death threats.

They say that news is something that someone, somewhere, wants kept quiet. Cam Slater doesn’t do quiet and, as a result, he is a polarising, controversial but highly effective journalist who takes no prisoners.

He is fearless in his pursuit of a story.

Love him or loathe him, you can’t ignore him.

To read Cam’s previous articles click on his name in blue.

48%