Massive Herald Bomb – I wonder how they will get out of this one

The NZ Herald has run a story by-lined by John Hall about a supposed Vietnam Veteran found after 44 years of being missing in action presumed dead.

English: Flag of the National League of Famili...

(Photo credit: Wikipedia)

A United States Army veteran has been found living in a remote Vietnamese village 44 years after his plane was shot down and he was presumed dead.

Unclaimed, a documentary by Canadian filmmaker Michael Jorgenson, claims that a frail, elderly man, found in a remote south Vietnam village unable to remember the English language, his date of birth or even the names of his wife and two children, may be Sergeant John Hartley Robertson – a former Green Beret shot down in 1968.

Robertson was working on a special operation over Laos when his helicopter was downed.

Despite his body never being found, he was presumed dead for nearly half a century.

Vietnam veteran Tom Faunce says he was on a humanitarian mission in Southeast Asia in 2008 when he was told of the existence of an “army brother” who had been shot down 40 years earlier, listed as “deceased in action” and forgotten about by the US Government.

Faunce teamed up with Jorgenson to track the mystery man down and find definitive evidence that either proved he was Robertson, or out him as a hoaxer.

The Herald story gives the reader the idea that this is indeed the missing man. 

Unfortunately for the “decent journalists, trained and skilled” at the NZ Herald, the man is a hoaxer and the his story is fake.

The astonishing claims of a 76-year-old man found living in Vietnam who says he is a U.S. war veteran presumed dead 44-years ago have been exposed as a hoax.

The story of Sgt. John Hartley Robertson as told by a new documentary ‘Unclaimed’ gripped the world on Tuesday – raising the astounding possibility that an American POW escaped from his Vietnamese captors and began a family in secret with a local woman – while his wife and two children grieved back home.

However, it can be revealed that the man is not Sgt. Robertson, rather he is a conman who has attempted to suck in members of the Vietnam MIA/POW community and that the CIA performed a secret DNA test on him 20-years ago that confirmed his lies.

A 2009 Defense Prisoner of War Missing Personnel Office (DPMO) memo sent to the MailOnline on Tuesday acknowledges that the man, known as Dang Tan Ngoc, came to the attention of U.S. personnel in Vietnam in 2006.

He was claiming to be Sgt. John Hartley Robertson, who is thought to have died in a special forces op mission over Laos in 1968.

He was interviewed and under questioning admitted that he was not Sgt. Robertson but a Vietnamese citizen.

However, in 2008 he again tried to pose as the MIA veteran and was taken to the U.S. Embassy in Phnom Penh where he was fingerprinted.

They were evaluated by the FBI, which, in a February 2009 report, concluded Ngoc’s fingerprints did not match those in Sgt. Robertson’s official records.

They believed that these attempts to claim the identity of a MIA solider were to defraud the U.S. Government of money in military back-pay.

These revelations follow swiftly on from the release of ‘Unclaimed’, a new documentary that questions whether Ngoc – found living in south-central Vietnam, could be Sgt. John Hartley Robertson.

Oh dear. I wonder how long it is before Shayne Currie throws a fit and gets the website at least changed.

What a shameful story, it is bad enough that that this man is MIA, but for his family to be put through a scam and a sham like this, aided and abetted by gullible idiots in the media is disgraceful.

 


THANK YOU for being a subscriber. Because of you Whaleoil is going from strength to strength. It is a little known fact that Whaleoil subscribers are better in bed, good looking and highly intelligent. Sometimes all at once! Please Click Here Now to subscribe to an ad-free Whaleoil.

  • XM16E1

    Real slack on the part of the Herald. When I read that story this morning I thought it sounded too good to be true & Googled Sergeant John Hartley Robertson & lo & behold almost every hit that comes up is the story debunking it as a fraud. How come the Herald can’t do that??

    • Bunswalla

      Because
      a) They think they know everything
      b) Google is not their friend
      c) ah….muppets!

      • Dave

        Seriously Buns, their stupidity astounds me. They are not Journalists, simply repeaters. How easy would it be to reach out to your point b for 2 minute and skim through the results. “Oh fuck the repeater exclaims, its a fake!” I think the outsourcing of some news content and sub/editing to offshore entities where english is a second language has simply hastened the Horrids decline.

        One wonders where is their leadership, why are they ignoring the stats of their decline, (faster than comparable MSM) and are the directors asleep at the wheel.

  • rightoverlabour

    Because as they are the unofficial mouth piece of the Greens/Labour terrorist organisation, they use the same logic and methods. Speak first, check facts later (if at all). Why people buy this waste of trees is beyond me.

  • Dr Wang

    Someone should warn GrannyHarold about Peter Jackson’s mockumentary “Forgotten Silver” too – before one of their decent trained skilled “journalists” cites that in one of their articles. Forgotten Silver was released before many of Granny’s wet hacks were even born…so they will not have heard of it.

    • Agent BallSack

      That was classic with its temples on the west coast and steam driven cameras. From memory it fooled the Dominion and Evening post writers then they bagged it because they looked fucking stupid.

  • What next? Their Business section touting South Sea Company shares as “one to watch”?

  • Cam you need to send them a bill for it. They’ve corrected their mistake now:

    “‘Missing’ US soldier story exposed as fraud”

    With no mention that the story has been corrected or updated.

    • correction: i do see at the top a little “updated” image.

  • Muldoonsliver

    I hope you are going to invoice Currie. @ $50 bucks a correction they could have funded a new car for you by now.

  • parorchestia

    Is that why the Herald is filed under “Fiction” in my local library. (Joking – please don’t sue me Mr Herald).

  • Luke D

    Colonel Kurtz?

  • LesleyNZ

    Maybe the NZ Herald should “like” the Snopes FB page so that they can check out “facts” before they are published. https://www.facebook.com/snopes
    Huffington Post too!
    https://www.facebook.com/snopes/posts/252227754921751
    Snopes say he is French conman. So what is the truth?
    “Vietnam veteran ‘found in jungle after 44 years’ is hoax
    A man who claimed to be a U.S. Vietnam veteran found in the jungle after 44 years has been exposed as a French con man.”

  • Patrick

    Clearly a blank spot required filling cut and paste ensued

    • Spiker

      I see its in the print edition as well.

  • Steve (North Shore)

    This evening I had a phone call from a marketer trying to get me to subscribe to the Herald. For many years my Mum has subscribed (it just happens to be in my name).
    Now a few weeks ago the Herald increased the cost so Mum said stuff them and cancelled/unsubscribed. The deliveries kept coming for 2 weeks.
    Now they are sucking up with the Herald FREE for one month, if you then have a one month subscription.
    Man they are sooooooo desperate for the leftie propaganda to work for them.
    Fuck off Horrid

38%