How exactly are children better protected having registered teachers?

via fanpop

via fanpop

Registering teachers is supposed to protect the kids, right?

Two in one week:

Two men working at separate primary schools have been granted sweeping name suppression by the courts after being arrested for sex attacks on children.

The veil of secrecy granted has drawn criticism from a victims’ advocate who says such suppression orders hinder uncovering the extent of potential offending by sex predators.

In the latest cases a man employed by a primary school appeared in a district court last month facing charges of assaulting a child under the age of 12. He has not yet pleaded to the charges.

The Sunday Star-Times cannot name him or even specify the charges he faces nor name the school where he worked or what job he did at the school – this is despite the child he attacked not being a student at that school.

There is absolutely no proof that the teacher registration process results in a higher standard of teachers, nor does it protect our vulnerable children from the predators that are attracted to teaching for all the wrong reasons.

In fact, there is nothing in the teacher training or registration process that tries to identify and block these sexual predators from entering the profession.

And when they do, and get caught, they don’t get thrown out with their name and photo in the paper. ¬†Instead there is a veil of secrecy and covering up.

At what cost to protect the existing victims if it means it will lead to more in the future?

Last August, the Teachers Council revealed it has a secret list of “high risk”, potentially predatory teachers, which is hidden from schools and parents.

These teachers show up as clean in formal police checks and on the public teachers’ register, despite serious concerns about them.

Council head Peter Lind said police raise these flags with the council when they have serious concerns about a teacher but have not been able to prosecute them.

Parents, and principals looking to hire the teacher, have no way of knowing about these concerns, because no note is made on the public register.

How can we imagine ourselves a decent society when we allow this?

 


THANK YOU for being a subscriber. Because of you Whaleoil is going from strength to strength. It is a little known fact that Whaleoil subscribers are better in bed, good looking and highly intelligent. Sometimes all at once! Please Click Here Now to subscribe to an ad-free Whaleoil.

  • Whafe

    Having teachers registered, in thinking that it will eliminate these evil predators from doing the nasty evil shit that they do is nothing but dreaming..

    Registered or not registered, it will still occur until our namby pamby left leaning pathetic judicial system clamps down and puts a tough arm forward….

    The education org in using the fact that charter schools will not have registered teachers is as weak as piss… And the day they learn that it is gaining no traction will be a positive day for education in moving forward…

    There is nothing more constant than change…… Wake up education peeps…

  • Pissedoffyouth

    All suspicions of a illegal nature should be acted on immediately – not years later like most of these cases.

    If the teachers union want to be taken seriously they NEED to make members accountable for heinous shit like this, by a whistleblowing policy or something similar

  • Peej

    Does being registered as a lawyer or financier stop everyone one of them from preying on their clients?

    • Kopua Cowboy

      95% of lawyers give the other 5% a bad name

  • Mr_Blobby

    I think you miss the point Whale.

    The whole point of registering teachers is to protect them (the teachers).

    They are right, you are wrong. Any Questions?

    Without registration there would be nowhere to hide.

  • Kopua Cowboy

    Registering teachers is as helpful as registering firearms

  • Callum

    The default for accountants from disciplinary procedures is publication of their names, yet the for people who teach and have daily contacts with our kids it is to hide the identity of those who don’t meet minimum standards or may be a serious danger to our kids. Seems a bit crazy to me.

  • Mediaan

    It’s getting pretty obvious that all those pansy-leaning males who got put into teaching by the people bossing the selection boards, to promote homosexuality, are acting as most homosexuals do. They are eyeing all young people as prey.

    The problem is the “promote homosexuality” agenda.

    Now, after I have said this, wait for the same people to put forward some mind-controlled woman who rapes kids, and make her a teacher. Be a rare occurrence, but they will probably go find one or make one. It’s their way.

38%