Face of the day

A TEENAGE girl died on the street after a pharmacy refused to hand over a life-saving adrenaline injection to the girl’s mother because she didn’t have a prescription.
Emma Sloan, 14, suffered an allergic reaction to peanuts after mistaking satay sauce for curry sauce at a Chinese restaurant in Dublin.
She told her mother, Caroline, she was having difficulty breathing.
The family rushed round the corner to the Hamilton Long chemist shop but a male worker told Caroline they couldn’t give her an EpiPen shot – a special allergy injection – without a prescription.
The worker advised Ms Sloan to take her daughter to hospital but Emma collapsed on the street outside.
A passing doctor, as well as ambulance staff and firefighters, tried to resuscitate her but it was too late.
The teenager died in front of her two sisters, one of them just two-years-old.
Ms Sloan, 40, told the Irish Herald: “My daughter died on a street corner with a crowd around her.
“I’m so angry I was not given the EpiPen to inject her. I was told to bring Emma to an A&E department. Emma was allergic to nuts and was very careful. How could a peanut kill my child?”
The Mail Online reported that Ireland’s Children’s Minister Frances Fitzgerald had called for an inquiry into the death.
The paper said that the pharmacy regulatory body, the Pharmaceutical Society of Ireland, was reportedly examining the case.
Ms Sloan who described her daughter as “a beautiful, smart and funny girl” and “one of a kind” appealed to parents of children with nut allergies to carry an EpiPen with them at all times. – news.com.au

news.com.au

news.com.au


Do you want:

  • Ad-free access?
  • Access to our very popular daily crossword?
  • Access to daily sudoku?
  • Access to Incite Politics magazine articles?
  • Access to podcasts?
  • Access to political polls?

Our subscribers’ financial support is the reason why we have been able to offer our latest service; Audio blogs. 

Click Here  to support us and watch the number of services grow.

33%