Why won’t the Herald speak about Dotcom’s latest court outing?

All last week we had breathless and wrong reporting from the High Court in the John Banks case, then on Friday afternoon Kim Dotcom got shot out of court on his conspiracy theories, and the suppression of the evidence against him was lifted.

3News covered it, Fairfax covered it, Larry Williams climbed in NewstalkZB on Friday night and even Radio New Zealand had extensive coverage.

FBI evidence against Kim Dotcom says his companies made more than $200 million over five years from his Megaupload website, and that he was aware of the site’s copyright infringement.

It shows his co-accused were concerned that if the authorities started investigating the website, the internet entrepreneur would take all the company’s money and go into hiding.

The High Court in Auckland on Friday lifted suppression on the summary of evidence the FBI has gathered since 2010 against Mr Dotcom, as the New Zealand courts consider the United States’ attempts to extradite him and three co-accused. The internet businessman’s lawyers had applied for suppression to continue.

The United States is seeking the extradition of Mr Dotcom and three other men accused of copyright infringement and money-laundering charges relating to the now-defunct Megaupload website.

The summary includes email and Skype discussions involving the four accused.

It details payments of up to $205 million moving from Megaupload users to the company’s accounts from which Mr Dotcom was able to distribute money.

It also shows Mr Dotcom talking about wanting to stay under the radar, and downplay the success of the site to the media.

The evidence includes a Skype conversation in March 2009, where Mr Dotcom talked to his chief technological officer and co-accused Mathias Ortmann about how they should prepare for lawsuits should they happen.

Mr Dotcom suggested hiring an in-house attorney to prepare them for anything.

The summary says that in three conversations during 2007 and 2008 between Mr Ortmann and programmer Bram Van der Kolk, the latter refers to the pair as pirates.

In each conversation, Mr Ortmann tells Mr Van der Kolk that is not the case, that they are service providers. At one point, he says that is providing a service to pirates and in another instance says they are evil. Mr Van der Kolk says a service provider is what they are legally but they know better.

But no coverage in the NZ Herald, the media organisation that professes to be the paper of record for the nation. And yet there is nothing. Not a single article about it.

Has Kim Dotcom been too busy to dictate an article for David “Tainted” Fisher? Is David “Tainted” Fisher on holiday? Why no article?

Is it now just too embarrassing for embedded media like John Campbell and David Fisher and others at the Herald to contemplate that their investment in Kim Dotcom is to come?to nothing other than to cement the impression that they allowed themselves to become corrupted by the Crook of Coatesville?

Why won’t the NZ Herald write about this?

For those who think there is nothing to the case, I suggest you take the time to read all 192 pages. You will soon realise that Kim Dotcom has led a merry dance with the useless unquestioning media.

Mega Evidence by Eriq Gardner

48%