Australia quite proactive against Jihadi “lone wolves”

An Australian man has been charged after he allegedly was found with documents designed to facilitate a terrorist attack against potential government targets in Sydney.

Sulayman Khalid, 20, appeared in Parramatta Local Court after he was charged by counter-terrorism police overnight.

Australian Federal Police Deputy Commissioner Michael Phelan said officers seized a significant amount of material during raids on a property on Thursday last week.

Among that material were documents that police allege were “designed to facilitate a terrorist attack”, as well as a rifle, a shortened shotgun and a double-barrelled shotgun.

Deputy Commissioner Phelan said he could not go into great detail about the documents that were seized.

“But there was enough there that gave concern to us that something was being planned, and that’s why a person was charged. He was charged in relation to having a document that was designed to clearly facilitate an attack,” Deputy Commissioner Phelan said.

“Certainly the documents talked a little bit about potential government targets and so on, and what that did, coupled with other things that were seized during the search warrant, gave us significant concern to be able to act early.”

I guess they have good reason to feel a little proactive, having not taken the Lindt Cafe “lone wolf” seriously enough.  

A second man, Maywand Osman, 21, was also charged by counter-terrorism police overnight, with breaching a control order. He is also due to face court today.

Only four people have ever been issued with a control order in Australia. One was David Hicks in 2007.

Osman and Khalid were arrested by the joint counter-terrorism team as part of Operation Appleby.

The arrests come a day after Australian Prime Minister Tony Abbott said there had been a “heightened level of terror chatter” in the wake of the Martin Place siege.

The National Security Committee met on Tuesday and intelligence officials briefed Mr Abbott, who said the national terrorism alert level remained on high.

“As you’ll all understand, at this level, an attack is likely, we don’t know when and how an attack may come, but we do know there are people with the intent and capability to carry out further attacks, and that’s why it’s important that as well as being reassured that people are aware of the reality of these times,” Abbott said on Tuesday.

It is a delicate balance between panic and complacency.   I just have this feeling we’re due our own little incident, as we’re the only 5Eyes partner who has so far gone unscathed.   Hope the experts are on the job.


– Sydney Morning Herald

Do you want:

  • ad-free access?
  • access to our very popular daily crossword?
  • access to Incite Politics magazine articles?

Silver subscriptions and above go in the draw to win a $500 prize to be drawn at the end of March.

Not yet one of our awesome subscribers? Click Here and join us.

As much at home writing editorials as being the subject of them, Cam has won awards, including the Canon Media Award for his work on the Len Brown/Bevan Chuang story.  And when he’s not creating the news, he tends to be in it, with protagonists using the courts, media and social media to deliver financial as well as death threats.

They say that news is something that someone, somewhere, wants kept quiet.   Cam Slater doesn’t do quiet, and as a result he is a polarising, controversial but highly effective journalist that takes no prisoners.

He is fearless in his pursuit of a story.

Love him or loathe him.  But you can’t ignore him.