Kauri trespasser arrested. Bus ticket being soaked in water now

The illegal trespasser who was sitting in someone else’s tree has come down and handed himself in to?the?Police.

A protester who took up residence in a kauri tree at the centre of a legal dispute was yesterday arrested and charged with trespassing.

Johno Smith handed himself in to the police after he spent 13 days living in the tree, located on a Paturoa Rd property in bush-clad Titirangi, to prevent it being felled.

He was forced down after it was “viciously attacked” at dawn by a group who ringbarked it while Mr Smith was still in it.

The 32-year-old said he was woken by a noise early in the morning and looked down to see eight security guards. Three had chainsaws and began to cut into the tree while the remaining five waited in a van.

The attack left a deep gouge on the side of the kauri, with a cut spanning the tree’s circumference.

A Save Our Kauri spokeswoman, Aprilanne Bonar, said it had put Mr Smith’s life at risk.

Oh what bollocks…how can 5 minutes with a chainsaw ring-barking a supposedly “600 year old” massive tree possibly put the trespasser’s life at risk?

These eco-terrorists had a deal to buy the land, they reneged on it, and when the owners set about actioning their legally mandated and permitted activities they ran to the media and?mounted another protest claiming through a compliant media that it was the owners who reneged on?the?deal.

What is worse now is these same people who are complaining about laws being broken are now using Facebook to spread the home and work contact details of the owners imploring their loony mates to go and harass. The protestors are the ones who have constantly broken the law and it is clear they are now breaking harassment laws via their Facebook page.

The controversy began in March when the owners of the property, John Lenihan and Jane Greensmith, planned to chop down the 200-year-old kauri and a 300-year-old rimu.

They came to an agreement with the council and protesters after Michael Tavares spent three days in the kauri.

Mr Smith will appear in the Waitakere District Court on January 6.

He returned to the site yesterday after he was granted bail to assist with “regrafting” the kauri in the hope of saving it.

Mr Smith, an aborist, said the wound on the tree was significant and he was unsure if it would survive.

In light of the day’s events, members of the Titirangi community gathered last night for a vigil for the tree.

Ms Bonar said the community were also coming together to “reflect” on what had happened.

“We need each other’s mana/heart to ensure our [kauri] is protected.”

A vigil…oh FFS…and note how the Herald is saying 200 years…it wouldn’t even be that.

But a vigil?

It’s not your bloody tree.


– NZ Herald