Photo Of The Day

Lawnchair Larry: Larry Walters is barely visible as his helium balloon-rigged aluminum lawnchair drifts skyward after tether lines broke during what was supposed to be a short flight, on July 2, 1982. The flight turned into a 45-minute venture during which Walters was spotted by pilots of TWA and Delta jetliners at an altitude of 16,000 feet.

Lawnchair Larry: Larry Walters is barely visible as his helium balloon-rigged aluminium lawnchair drifts skyward after tether lines broke during what was supposed to be a short flight, on July 2, 1982. The flight turned into a 45-minute venture during which Walters was spotted by pilots of TWA and Delta jetliners at an altitude of 16,000 feet.

LawnChair Larry

You have to love the heart and spirit of true free-thinkers. Instead of ?I can?t,? they are the ones who always consider the ?why not??

That was the mindset of Larry Walters, a North Hollywood, Calif., trucker who, in 1982 at age 33, captured the attention of people who dare to dream big. But being a true pioneer has its price: He also captured the attention of law enforcement and the Federal Aviation Administration.

Born Lawrence Richard Walters in April of 1949, Larry had always dreamed of flying.? At the age of 13, on a visit to an Army-Navy surplus store, he saw several empty weather balloons hanging from the store’s ceiling, and thought that it would be an interesting way to attain flight.? But a more practical way, learning to fly an airplane, was much more reasonable.? Nevertheless, the method was filed away in Walters’ subconscious.

When he came of age, he enlisted in the United States Air Force, with the hope of finally learning to fly.? However, it was discovered that he had poor eyesight – killing his flight career before it could even begin.

After leaving the Air Force, Walters began to hatch his plan.? It called for him to attach a couple of helium-filled weather balloons to a lawn chair, then cut away an anchor, and float above his backyard at a height of about 30 feet for a couple of? hours.? The flight would end when he would use a pellet gun to pop the balloons, one after another, to gently return to the earth below.

Walters, 33, living in North Hollywood and working as a truck driver and delivery-man?for a film production company,?invested $4,000 in the project, purchasing nearly four dozen surplus weather balloons from California Toytime Balloons (under the guise of being for use in filming a television commercial), compressed helium cylinders, a sturdy aluminium lawn chair from Sears, and various other bits of equipment for the flight.? Walters even learned how to skydive, and planned on wearing a parachute for the flight – just in case.

The night before the launch of a short “test flight” of the contraption, Walters and several friends met at the San Pedro home of Carol van Duesen, Larry’s then-girlfriend.? The crew inflated balloons throughout the night, and rigged together the chair and assorted equipment.

At 11 o’clock on the morning of July 2, 1982, Walters sat atop his lawn chair under his towering apparatus, christened “Inspiration I”.? Four tiers of helium-filled balloons, over 40 in total, rose tall above him.? The flight “plan” called for Walters and his balloons to fly out over Long Beach, and 300 miles east, towards the Mojave Desert

Walters was equipped with an altimeter, parachute, life jacket (in the event of a “water landing”), a 2-litre bottle of Coca-Cola, a sandwich, and Citizen’s Band (CB) walkie-talkie. He also had a BB-gun pistol to shoot the balloons and lower his altitude, and took a camera but would later admit to interviewers, “I was so amazed by the view, I didn’t even take one picture.”

Tethered to the ground via three lines tied off to the bumper of a Jeep, Walters waited with anticipation as the ropes were to be cut.? But after Carol cut one of the tethers holding the craft earth-bound, the other two ropes snapped suddenly.? The balloons, and Walters in his lawn chair, were rocketed skyward!

Lawnchair Larry about to take off.

Lawnchair Larry about to take off.

His eyeglasses ripped from his face, Walters, a North Hollywood truck driver with no pilot or balloon training, was soaring upwards at an alarming rate, when he had expected to attain level flight at merely 100 feet above the ground.

Using the CB radio he carried aboard the lawn chair with him, he radioed his girlfriend on the ground:

van Duesen😕You’re going to be directly over us, so, in a few, about a minute or two. So look down and see if you can see us. Over.
Walters😕Ok, I’ll be looking for ya’.
van Duesen😕We can already see your balloons. Maybe when you get over…you’re going to go into, you’re going to go into some blue stuff. Can you see us down now? Can you see us? Over.
Walters:?Carol, I’m, I’m almost 6,000 feet over. I can’t see much of anything (laugh) except for a lot of houses. Over.

Fearing that he might unbalance the load, he did not dare shoot any balloons with his pellet gun.? Instead, he spent about two hours aloft and soared up to 16,000 feet — over three miles high.

From San Pedro, Walters and his balloons began to drift over Long Beach, and crossed the primary approach corridor of Long Beach airport. Airlines pilot from both TWA and Delta reported seeing him to the control tower at Long Beach airport

Knowing that this was possible, Walters used his CB radio and, using Channel 9 (the emergency CB radio channel), attempted to notify the tower.? The conversation was recorded by the Crest-REACT (Radio Emergency Associated Communication Team) in Corona, California.

REACT:?What information do you wish me to tell them [air traffic control] at this time as to your location and your difficulty?

Walters:?Ah, the difficulty is, ah, this was an unauthorized balloon launch, and, uh, I know I’m in a federal airspace, and, uh, I’m sure my ground crew has alerted the proper authority. But, uh, just call them and tell them I’m okay.

In disbelief in what they are hearing, the crew at REACT asks further questions of Walters:

REACT:?What colour is the balloon?
Walters😕The balloons are beige in colour. I’m in a bright blue sky which would be very highly visible. Over.
REACT:?[Balloon] size?
Walters😕Size approximately, uh, seven feet in diameter each. And I probably have about 35 left. Over.
REACT:?You’re saying you have a cluster of 35 balloons??
Walters😕These are 35 weather balloons. Not one single balloon, sir. It is 35 weather balloons.
REACT:?Roger, stand by this frequency.

Shivering in the thin high-altitude air, he finally used his pellet gun to start popping balloons, in order to lower his altitude.? Descending, he aimed, as best he could, to land at the Virginia County Club in Long Beach.? But, he descended short of the golf course, and headed into a residential neighbourhood in Long Beach.

“The part that was scary was the last 300 feet (before landing), with the rooftops and telephone poles coming up so fast,” Walters said. “I was praying that I wouldn’t hit one of those power lines and be fried or sizzled.” Walters said in an interview shortly after landing.

He dumped the gallon jugs of water tied to the chair to slow the gadget’s landing but, on the way down, his balloons draped over a set of power lines.? Left dangling five feet off of the ground, the police had to shut down electricity in the Long Beach neighbourhood for 20 minutes in order for Walters to safely egress his wounded wonder, down and into the backyard of a house in Long Beach.

“By the grace of God, I fulfilled my dream. But I wouldn’t do this again for anything.”

He was immediately arrested by waiting members of the Los Angeles Police Department.? When asked by a reporter why he had done it, Walters replied “a man can’t just sit around.”

The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) was initially baffled by the incident.? The regional safety inspector, Neal Savoy, reportedly said “We know he broke some part of the Federal Aviation Act, and as soon as we decide which part it is, some type of charge will be filed. If he had a pilot’s license, we’d suspend that. But he doesn’t.” But Walters had been catapulted, unexpectedly and unprepared, from obscurity to national fame.? For a time, Walters hired an agent to handle the deluge of interview requests.? But for unexplained reasons, he decided that was a bad idea.

“No more agents,” he said. “I am on my own. Everything happened so fast and so many people came to me saying, ‘We’re looking out for you.’? I’m going to handle everything on my own now, one to one. To me, that’s fair.”

In December of 1982, Walters was accused by the FAA of committing several violations of the Federal Aviation Act, including operating a “civil aircraft for which there is not currently in effect an airworthiness certificate” and operating an aircraft within an airport traffic area “without establishing and maintaining two-way communications with the control tower.” The resulting fines totalled $4,000.

Walters retorted with, “If the FAA was around when the Wright Brothers were testing their aircraft, they would never have been able to make their first flight at Kitty Hawk.”?? Despite his punishment, Walters didn’t rule out the possibility of another flight. “We’ve been looking at the Bahamas and a couple of other possibilities. It depends on whether or not I can get somebody to finance it, because I sure can’t,” he stated during an interview.

Walters appealed the violations, and admitted to only one of the charges (not establishing and maintaining two-way contact with the airport control tower). According to the FAA, “The flight was potentially unsafe, but Walters had not intended to endanger anyone”. The fine was reduced to $1,500 in April of 1983.

Several of the deflated six-feet wide balloons were signed by Walters, and given to neighbourhood children. The lawn chair used in Walters’ flight was given to an local boy, although Walters later admitted he regretted doing so – the Smithsonian Institution asked him to donate it to the National Air & Space Museum.? Also, according to?Ballooning?magazine, Walters had also inadvertently set a world altitude record for flight with gas-filled cluster balloons, breaking the old record of 3,740 feet, but it could not be officially recorded because his lawn chair lacked an altimeter with recording capabilities (and the fact that the flight was unsanctioned as a record attempt).

In a brief period of time, Walters toured as a motivational speaker after his flight. He quit his job as a truck driver, but never was able to make much money from his fame. Walters also received the “Bonehead of the Year” prize in February of 1983 from the “Bonehead Club” of Dallas for his misadventure, as well as accepted invitations to appear on “The Tonight Show” with Johnny Carson, and “The Late Night with David Letterman”.

Larry Walters, as he appeared in a 1992 Timex watch Ad.

Larry Walters, as he appeared in a 1992 Timex watch Ad.

Although Walters’ flight brought him instant fame, it never proved very lucrative for him. He was paid a few hundred dollars here and there for television appearances and made a little money as a motivational speaker, but it wasn’t until Timex paid him $1,000 in 1992 to appear in print advertisements featuring “adventurous individuals wearing Timex watches” that he saw any real payoff. Even then, he still hadn’t recouped the estimated $4,000 it had cost him to make the flight ten years earlier.

Not much else in life worked out for Larry, either ? he broke up with his girlfriend of fifteen years, his speaking career didn’t pan out, and he worked only sporadically as a security guard. On?6 October?1993, Larry hiked to one of his favourite spots in Angeles National Forest and put a bullet through his heart. It was a sad end for the man who had made one the most celebrated flights since Lindbergh, a man who said, “It was something I had to do. I had this dream for twenty years, and if I hadn’t done it, I think I would have ended up in the funny farm. I didn’t think that by fulfilling my goal in life ? my dream ? that I would create such a stir and make people laugh.”

Video: Larry Walters’ flying

“The Lawn Chair Pilot”?

Larry Walters