…so fewer people protested than will lose their jobs

Photo: RNZ / Ian Telfer

 

Hundreds have turned out in Dunedin to protest the closure of the local Cadbury chocolate factory, with political leaders calling on its multi-national owner to listen to ideas to keep it running.

The old “inflate the numbers” trick again.  But, fine, hundreds.  Let’s accept that.

The factory has been operating in the South Island city for almost 150 years, but owner Mondelez International told staff last month they proposed to shut the doors and move jobs to Melbourne.

More than 300 jobs will be lost.

The proposal was incredibly short-sighted, Dunedin mayor Dave Cull told a crowd of about 270 in the Octagon on Saturday morning.

He had met with Mondelez bosses and asked them what needed to be done to stay.

“Disappointingly they’ve not been forthcoming with a response, insisting they complete consultation with their workforce.

“They did, however, make it clear there was nothing more the council or city could have done to influence its own commercial proposal.”

 

Perhaps they can sacrifice a virgin.

Oh wait, Dunedin.

 

– NZN via Yahoo! News, RNZ

 


THANK YOU for being a subscriber. Because of you Whaleoil is going from strength to strength. It is a little known fact that Whaleoil subscribers are better in bed, good looking and highly intelligent. Sometimes all at once! Please Click Here Now to subscribe to an ad-free Whaleoil.

38%