A bit of street justice?

Joining the dots can be rewarding sometimes.

Police are making progress on finding out why an injured man was allegedly dumped at the Tauranga Hospital.

The man died shortly after he was dropped off at the emergency department with critical injuries, around 12.20pm on Wednesday.

Police stopped in at an Otumoetai home on Thursday morning and said a man was “now assisting police with our investigation“.

“Police are confident there is no further risk to the public,” a statement from Detective Inspector Lewis Warner said.

On Wednesday, hospital staff treated the injured man but he died a short time later.

Police were trying to work out how the man was injured, a police spokesperson told Sunlive on Wednesday.

I love the euphemisms Police use. Let me translate. ‘We know who did it, he knows we know he did it, the dead guy got what was coming to him, but it’s still a crime.’

The next news article mentions an arrest and the name of the deceased:

A man has been charged with murder after the death of a Tauranga man.

Lance Wayne Waite, 58, died on Wednesday after being dumped at Tauranga Hospital, Detective Inspector Lewis Warner said in a statement.

The 26-year-old man will appear at the Tauranga District Court on Friday.

Back in 2010 he was a Mongrel Mob member involved in kidnapping and rape:

A Mongrel Mob member wanted by police for kidnapping a woman and using her as a sex slave has been captured by Rotorua police.

Lance Waite was on the run from Gisborne police on serious sex charges relating to a woman who was held against her will and sexually abused by him and allegedly by others.

Waite, a 51-year-old fruit picker, pleaded guilty to three serious sex charges in relation to an incident on Saturday and appeared in the Rotorua District Court before Judge James Weir.

Waite admitted one charge of detaining a woman without her consent for the purpose of her having sex with unknown persons and two counts of sexually violating the woman at Gisborne on February 13.

The court was told Waite drove around Gisborne for a couple of hours before letting her go.

When he first appeared in court on Monday, lawyer Harry Edward asked for the case to be stood down to discuss the charges with police and have the matter resolved.

After his guilty plea, police withdrew firearms and drugs charges against Waite.

Mr Edward yesterday requested that a restorative justice meeting be held between Waite and the victim.

Judge Weir recommended the meeting go ahead, if the victim chose to take part.

Waite has been remanded in custody for a pre-sentence report and sentencing in the Gisborne High Court next Monday.

Perhaps his hard criminal life has finally caught up with him.

I doubt many people will care much that a Mongrel Mob member has turned up dead.


-Fairfax, Rotorua Daily Post

Do you want:

  • Ad-free access?
  • Access to our very popular daily crossword?
  • Access to daily sudoku?
  • Access to Incite Politics magazine articles?
  • Access to podcasts?
  • Access to political polls?

Our subscribers’ financial support is the reason why we have been able to offer our latest service; Audio blogs. 

Click Here  to support us and watch the number of services grow.

As much at home writing editorials as being the subject of them, Cam has won awards, including the Canon Media Award for his work on the Len Brown/Bevan Chuang story. When he’s not creating the news, he tends to be in it, with protagonists using the courts, media and social media to deliver financial as well as death threats.

They say that news is something that someone, somewhere, wants kept quiet. Cam Slater doesn’t do quiet and, as a result, he is a polarising, controversial but highly effective journalist who takes no prisoners.

He is fearless in his pursuit of a story.

Love him or loathe him, you can’t ignore him.

To read Cam’s previous articles click on his name in blue.