And another sex scandal engulfs Labour

Labour are in big trouble as more and more people come out of the woodwork telling their stories of a culture of abuse and denial inside Labour.

The Labour Party has admitted it received a complaint about sexual misconduct at a separate party event to the one that created headlines on Monday.

Andrew Kirton, Labour’s general secretary, told Lisa Owen and Ryan Bridge on RadioLIVE on Tuesday that he had been made aware of an alleged incident at an event some years back.  

He says he was contacted that day by someone who told him there had been an incident at this event similar to what is alleged to have taken place at a Young Labour summer camp in February.

Mr Kirton says he’s currently working with the person who made the complaint, and has encouraged them to go to the police if they want to.

There are plenty more. I know of several former Young Labour activists who have told me tales of the shenanigans that went on in these camps. There are some sitting MPs who will be feeling nervous about now.

He refused to disclose the location and date of the event, saying the omission was out of respect for the people involved. He does not believe the alleged incident involves Labour Party MPs or Ministers.

I bet it does… or at least former ones.

The party is currently facing criticism over its handling of alleged sexual misconduct at a Young Labour Summer Camp in February.

Four 16-year-olds were allegedly harassed or assaulted by a 20-year-old man at the camp in Waihi.

Labour did not inform the police, the Prime Minister or the alleged victims’ parents about the incidents.

Mr Kirton says while they had the interests of the young people at heart, he admits they handled the situation poorly.

Very poorly, and this won’t stop now. This isn’t a couple of messages on Snapchat, or ponytail pulling.



Do you want:

  • ad-free access?
  • access to our very popular daily crossword?
  • access to Incite Politics magazine articles?

Silver subscriptions and above go in the draw to win a $500 prize to be drawn at the end of March.

Not yet one of our awesome subscribers? Click Here and join us.

As much at home writing editorials as being the subject of them, Cam has won awards, including the Canon Media Award for his work on the Len Brown/Bevan Chuang story.  And when he’s not creating the news, he tends to be in it, with protagonists using the courts, media and social media to deliver financial as well as death threats.

They say that news is something that someone, somewhere, wants kept quiet.   Cam Slater doesn’t do quiet, and as a result he is a polarising, controversial but highly effective journalist that takes no prisoners.

He is fearless in his pursuit of a story.

Love him or loathe him.  But you can’t ignore him.