Algal bloom

Dog dies from toxic Tukituki river

A dog has died after coming in contact with toxic Tukituki Rover water.

A pet dog has died in a suspected case of cyanobacterial poisoning at the Tukituki River.

In a statement this afternoon, the Hawke’s Bay Regional Council said staff were told the dog was at Tukituki River’s Horseshoe Bend off Kahuranaki Road and HBRC environmental science staff are investigating.

“We were saddened to hear of the death of the dog, and our thoughts are with the family who will be missing their pet,” says HBRC Interim Chief Executive, Liz Lambert.

“It is a sad consequence of the warm summer weather when there is always a high likelihood of algal blooms in Hawke’s Bay rivers. Our river areas are popular places to exercise dogs and so we recommend that owners be extra cautious in summer. Keep your dogs under control, perhaps on a retractable leash, and take your own supply of fresh water for them to drink. We want to avoid having any more pets suffer.”

The Council and the Hawke’s Bay District Health Board have issued a warning about the risks of toxic algae in summer.

Read more »

×